Panel fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my car many of the under panels are fitted using the fitting below.
Nylon tapered plug fitting, which is wedged open to lock in place by inserting the screw.

This centre screw has a Phillips head, but everyone I tried did not screw out, either Just rotated or would not turn.

I ended up popping them out with a pair of flat head screwdrivers.

Is there a particular technique to remove, or special tool.

CDA25D18-967F-485C-B9D0-5B88B30D4C2C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Brute force and ignorance.

Frustrating things that never work as they should.. I tend to use a pick and side cutters

Where possible I try to use "fir tree" fixings or other push fittings where and when I can

Sponsored Links
Yes. I meant when I get these out I ttry to replace them with others.
Not so easy if you don't have a selection of fixings

They're usually made of nylon and it absorbs water and swells, over time. Those plastic screws through the middle, will just jam. The best you can do, is got the newest, best-fitting screwdriver possible, spray them with some kind of penetrant (ideally something with silicone), and just try to break them free with small movements of the screwdriver. However, to be honest, I usually end up destroying any that I try to remove on a 10 year (or older) car.
Easy to buy on eBay though. They go under various names. "scrivets", or "screw rivets". Some don't have a central screw, they have a centre that prises up using a small screwdriver, and that pulls a plug out from in between the expanding legs, to achieve the same effect. These seem a bit more long-lived. Search for "push rivets".

They're usually made of nylon and it absorbs water and swells, over time. Those plastic screws through the middle, will just jam. The best you can do, is got the newest, best-fitting screwdriver possible, spray them with some kind of penetrant (ideally something with silicone), and just try to break them free with small movements of the screwdriver. However, to be honest, I usually end up destroying any that I try to remove on a 10 year (or older) car.
Easy to buy on eBay though. They go under various names. "scrivets", or "screw rivets". Some don't have a central screw, they have a centre that prises up using a small screwdriver, and that pulls a plug out from in between the expanding legs, to achieve the same effect. These seem a bit more long-lived. Search for "push rivets".
exactly why I suggested and usually use "fir tree fixings"

exactly why I suggested and usually use "fir tree fixings"
I sometimes worry about those a bit, in case they chip a bit of paint off the edge of the hole they push through, and start some rust. (Not that I have any firm evidence that such a thing happens)!

I sometimes worry about those a bit, in case they chip a bit of paint off the edge of the hole they push through, and start some rust. (Not that I have any firm evidence that such a thing happens)!
Never had any issues with that. They are usually soft enough that they push through with less force than the rivet type.

Plus easily available in a selection of hole and head sizes to cover any eventuality

Put a smear of grease in the hole first, then round the head of the rivet. That will prevent rust.

Sponsored Links
Back