Panel heaters - removal, and swapping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just got myself a new flat and I'm planning a few alterations which means I need to move some of the panel heaters.

Situation is:

1 large electric panel heater in living room
1 medium panel heater in living room
1 small panel heater in bedroom (which seems broken)

My plan is to remove the small heater in the bedroom, chuck it in the bin as I think it's knackered, then move the medium heater from living room to bedroom, and then move the large heater to where the medium one was. This clears the wall previously occupied by the large heater which I want to use for bookshelves.

The heaters are not controlled by a central unit, just wired through the main fusebox (trip switches) on two circuits - day and night.

I just wanted to check there are no regulations against this kind of electric work in your own home? I don't need an electricians qualification? I am pretty competent with electric work and will check all relevant fuse and cable ratings.

Any advice would be gratefully received though!

Cheers,

J

Sponsored Links
Since you are not installing a new circuit or working in a special location you can do the work.

However you do need to check the wiring is suitable etc. In theory all supplies should be protected at origin but in practice often it is found not to be the case.

Are they block storage heaters, if so they will need a bit of stripping down as they will be VERY heavy.

hi J, as john says they could well be storage heaters which are very expensive and it may be cheaper to repair the faulty one than replace it. the supply to storage heater only becomes "live" overnight when the electricity meter changes to a cheaper rate.

Sponsored Links
If they are very old storage heaters then if stripping down be aware of the possible presence of asbestos.

Hi chaps,

They're not storage heaters, just slim lightweight instant heat panel heaters.

I've already had the small bedroom one off its bracket, lifts off easily. Once off I could see black heat scorch marks around one of the control dials, looks goosed to me.

As long as the cabling etc can cope with a slightly larger heater at each location (and the cabling looks the same all round TBH) then I'll proceed with the switcheroo.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back