Replacing a storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just removed a large storage heater from my living room because it looked dated. I'm now looking to replace it with something a bit better looking & slimmer. I'm wondering what i'm best replacing it with, i was thinking an electric panel heater as i dont want to spend a fortune? I live in an apartment and i dont have gas, just electric.

My other main problem is where the heater was there are 2 plug sockets next to it but without the plug holes (if that makes sense!), one looks like it has a fuse in it, and i'm wondering how much of a job it would be to fit an electric panel heater?

I would appreciate any suggestions anybody has, and if anyone could offer a rough price to do the job, that would be a bonus!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace it with a more modern storage heater.

Storage heaters use cheaper off peak night time electricity which costs about one third of the normal rate. The heat is stored in bricks during the night and then it is released into the room during the day.

If you change a storage radiator for a panel heater expect the cost of the electricity used to heat your room to triple. Also if you connect a panel heater to the same point the storage heater came from, it will only work for 7 hours during the night. (with Economy 7 tariff)

If you get a new storage heater, the cable from the new heater will simply go where the one you took out came from.

Sometimes a separate supply that is permanent is supplied at the side of the storage heater as some storage heaters have a panel radiator (convector) built in for extra heat in very cold weather. This works on standard "peak" rate electricity during the day.

There are three types of storage heaters. Non central heating types consist of bricks with high iron content which are over night heated to about 900 degC vents stop the heat being released until required well that’s the idea in practice you can’t stop the heat from being liberated you do have a little control to how fast.
There is a similar central system where a room in centre of house contains bricks and a fan system distributes it as required throughout the house this works very well but requires a specially built house.
The third very similar but uses water and a large cylinder to hold the heated water this is split again into two systems one where water is at mains pressure the other at header tank pressure. Expensive but can be retro fitted.
To completely do away with any storage system would be very expensive to run. To part replace would also be expensive because of the way the tariff is based. There is two ways to control the heating either from central timer which was how old system worked or from individual timers used with new system.
With the latter you could replace a single radiator with another heater but very expensive to run.
With storage radiators one gets a high static charge plus higher charge for any power used during the day but a lot lower charge for power used in the 7 hour night slot there are a number of different deals.
Without knowing what system you have impossible to answer your question fully but I would think again and weigh up all pros and cons before doing anything.
Eric

one of the things which isnt an issue is heating the place during the day, we both work till after 5pm and so no-one is home during the day. We would only need a boost of heat when we get in from work. Plus, because we live in an apartment, the kitchen is in the living room, and so the heat from the oven tends to warm the room up anyway. In this instance would a flat panel still be out of the question even if it has controls on it so it can be switched on whenever? Would the best thing to be to get an electrician out to come and look at the current setup and advise if the flat panel is feasible?

Sponsored Links
You raise an interesting question. "What is a kitchen" and only once that is answered could I say if you need an electrician. Kitchens come under special location for Part P I think I say a definition somewhere as being within a set distance from a cooker or oven but sorry don't know answer as yet.
Eric

Found it. "Kitchen is defined in the Building Regulations as 'a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities'. As a guide only, in open plan areas the zone of a kitchen may be considered to extend from the edge of the sink to a distance of 3m or to a nearer dividing wall.
So is the heater in the kitchen if so you will need an electrician registered under part p to do the work.
Eric

we both work till after 5pm and so no-one is home during the day. We would only need a boost of heat when we get in from work.
The off peak rate starts from about midnight and lasts until 7am, so with a panel radiator you would come home from at 5pm and heat the room from cold with full price electricity. Unless you work 7 days a week you will still have to heat during the day when you're not at work.

would a flat panel still be out of the question even if it has controls on it so it can be switched on whenever?
It's not out of the question, you can do what you like, it's your home, we're just warning you of the high cost of doing so and you won't be able to connect it to a point designed to operate a storage heater as it will only work during the night. Think about it, storage heaters cost £100's panel radiators cost £10's why would people go to the all the additional expense of having a house full of storage heaters when panel radiators are so much cheaper? The reason is they're far cheaper to run.

Would the best thing to be to get an electrician out to come and look at the current setup and advise if the flat panel is feasible?
I think the "best thing" albeit based on limited info about your home and lifestyle would be to get another storage heater. But by your comment above, it seems you have already decided to buy a panel radiator. If you buy one with a plug on and plug it in to a normal socket, you don't need an electrician.

Emcla: Are you on a dual tariff? (Used to be called economy 7 but now there are all sorts of plans) If you are not sure, then does your meter box have more than one meter in it, or one with 2 dials ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back