Panning permission for a conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

do you generally need planning permission to erect a conservatory to attach to the rear of a house? Say 4m wide by 4m long?

Is there such a thing as a standard size conservatory, would 4x4m be a average?

we’ve already extended our L shaped house at the back but have a very large garden?

also what foundation depths could I get away with if the frames were all aluminium type with no side retaining wall and also if there was a small wall to take the frame and glass?

thx.

Sponsored Links
Check out permitted development rules.

A detached house is allowed 4m on rear upto width of house. Provided it's on original part of house.....lots if and buts though, esp side extension rules.

Foundation depth for a light structure is determined by ground stability mostly. On good ground that means 1 metre depth.

So we have already extended single storey on the rear by 4m on one sided an L shaped rear and 7m on the other side. This was achieved under planning permission.

Highly likely maybe we may need planning again? Not sure if you can use PD on an extension?

From how you describe your layout, it seems most likely that you would need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
I'm almost surprised that there wasn't a condition attached to the planning permission expressly removing further pd rights.

Nope, there was nothing mentioned. How do I work out then, whether I can do what I want to do under PD still? I dont believe you can bolt on a PD extension to an existing extension that was done under planning can you?

PD typically refers to walls relating to an 'original' part of the property. If you're attaching to an extension, then that's not an original wall, but you just have to read the wording of the relevant PD rights, and check out the supporting guidance which contains lots of diagrams (some of which are helpful)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back