Papering Around a Corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This clip is a good guide to papering around a corner, where the walls are way off plumb, but how would you get the left edge of the paper plumb as well as the pattern level if NOT papering up to a door frame?

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean an internal angle, if so you dont paper around it, when it comes to the time that your next drop will be the one that enters the angle you should first paste and fold another length, take care that both edges are in line. Then measure from your last drop into the angle top centre and bottom and add 1/2" to the larger of these, then transfer the measurment onto your next drop. then with care cut your paper to that size. Then hang this section and note the width of the offcut and transfer this measurment onto the other wall, strike another plumbline and hang the remaining piece.

Dec

Yes its the corner you can see in that video.

I am not sure I understand your advice, but i will read it a few more times to see if the penny drops!

What that chap does is cut the piece that goes to the corner just a few mill beyond the corner. Then he trims the tiny return piece so it is a few mill all the way down the wall. Then, the bit that was left over from the first cut gets put on the left side of the corner, making sure the pattern is level to the first wall. However, if the corner isnt true (which it isnt in this vid) then getting the left edge of the second piece plumb AND lined up with the first AND not having a gap at the corner seems impossible.

Its more obvious if you watch the vid! lol

I did watch the vid, if you are hanging any paper that has a pattern repeat and your internal corners are not plumb there will always be tendancy to have a slight loss of repeat.

Dec

Sponsored Links
This clip is a good guide to papering around a corner, where the walls are way off plumb, but how would you get the left edge of the paper plumb as well as the pattern level if NOT papering up to a door frame?

If you imagine the door isn't there, you would draw a plumbline on the wall where the lefthand edge of the paper will be.

As the corner won't be perfect you have to allow for any gaps or overlaps.

One way to allow for this is once you have drawn your plumbline, measure with a steel ruler the distance between the plumbline and the corner. Get the measurements at intervals of say a foot down the length of the wall.

Transfer these measurements to the length of paper, join the marks with the ruler. Cut. Offer the manufactured edge of the paper to the plumbline, making sure the pattern is at the correct position at the top of the wall.

There is no way that paper would run plumb if the door frame was not there to hide his cheat. The left hand side of the paper (if working right to left) must ALWAYS be plumb and if that means trimming and losing pattern then so be it. He didn't even do a plumb line for the left hand edge and by pushing the paper into the corner away from the doorframe he would be knocking it out of plumb for an adjacent piece of paper if there was one.

The technique of cutting the piece of paper into two is correct, however you have to measure the width of second piece so lets say you have 360mm, you can then plumb a line at 340mm so you can allow for 20mm deviation in the wall. If you measure from the plumb line to the wall at the top, middle and bottom you may get top 345mm, middle 350mm and bottom 355mm so you know you're safe because you have a 360mm width. You do get pattern loss but if your careful and accurate you can get the above measurements fairly minimal so you trim less and lose less pattern. Sometimes a paper will allow you if your clever with your setting out to have a patternless bit of paper go into the corner and out again, this gives the eye no percieved pattern loss.

There is no way that paper would run plumb if the door frame was not there to hide his cheat. The left hand side of the paper (if working right to left) must ALWAYS be plumb and if that means trimming and losing pattern then so be it. He didn't even do a plumb line for the left hand edge and by pushing the paper into the corner away from the doorframe he would be knocking it out of plumb for an adjacent piece of paper if there was one.

The technique of cutting the piece of paper into two is correct, however you have to measure the width of second piece so lets say you have 360mm, you can then plumb a line at 340mm so you can allow for 20mm deviation in the wall. If you measure from the plumb line to the wall at the top, middle and bottom you may get top 345mm, middle 350mm and bottom 355mm so you know you're safe because you have a 360mm width. You do get pattern loss but if your careful and accurate you can get the above measurements fairly minimal so you trim less and lose less pattern. Sometimes a paper will allow you if your clever with your setting out to have a patternless bit of paper go into the corner and out again, this gives the eye no percieved pattern loss.

I noticed that - he didn't even draw a plumbline above the door.

Not that that would have been very reliable for the next full lengths.

I would have been inclined to have drawn a plumbline somewhere to the left of the door, fitted a length of paper, then work back to the right to the corner.

Yeah good idea sparkwright, never crossed my mind to do that, just a bit of careful measuring and you could still use the original 'second piece' into the corner and if the short piece above the door sends you out of plumb it doesn't matter because your trimming at the frame and finishing into a corner.

Not being funny guys, but it is perfectly possible for that piece to fit plumb into the corner.

Imagine the wall with the door is leaning back ½" out of plumb from top to bottom. The right hand wall would then be ½" wider at the top than the bottom (perhaps that is the case in the video) but if the right hand wall is perfectly plumb/vertical then the paper would fit flush against it without the need to trim.

An unlikely scenario in most cases, but possible.

As said, the usual way, if the door frame wasn't there, would be to mark a plumbline and trim to fit in the corner or with a doorframe, mark the plumbline above/to the left of it.

The fact that there is a doorway here is of no consequence, if the width of the offcut is wide enough to paper around the door frame you would simply establish your working vertical above the door, if this was not the case you would establish it nearer the internal angle. And as far as using the adjacent wall to achieve a working vertical is concerned would be foolhardy.

Dec

And as far as using the adjacent wall to achieve a working vertical is concerned would be foolhardy.

Dec

Nobody said to use the adjacent wall as a plumbline, only that it was possible that it could be plumb and thus the paper would not need trimming. All this 'foolhardy' business you mention after each of my posts is a making you look a little immature, or insecure! :rolleyes:

Really, perhaps I misread it then, the task that the op faces here is far from difficult as I tried to outline in my first reply perhaps I didn't make it to clear.

Dec

...the task that the op faces here is far from difficult as I tried to outline in my first reply....

Dec

Completely agree. :cool:

In fairness to WabbitPoo, in your first reply, you didn't mention that the remaining piece for the corner should be trimmed to fit and so perhaps that's why he got confused. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back