Papering Around a Corner

The reason that I made no mention of trimming the remaining piece being the offcut is because there shouldn't be a need to do so, when the measurement of the offcut is transferred on to the adjacent wall and a new vertical struck, the offcut should fit snugly into the angle. Yet as said if the angle is out of plumb there will be a loss of pattern repeat.

Dec

Sponsored Links
The reason that I made no mention of trimming the remaining piece being the offcut is because there shouldn't be a need to do so, when the measurement of the offcut is transferred on to the adjacent wall and a new vertical struck, the offcut should fit snugly into the angle. Yet as said if the angle is out of plumb there will be a loss of pattern repeat.

Dec

Well, if the corner is out of plumb on both walls there would be a need for trimming, whereas if you have marked a plumbline to the left and the paper fitted snugly into the corner, as you suggest, the corner would also obviously be plumb. This is basically what I said in my original post which you deemed to be 'foolhardy'. :confused:

The term foolhardy is a term that I use on a regular basis OK, if the paper at least in part needed trimming in order to adopt a snug fit then it will have to trimmed won't it!

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for the lively debate/info.

Another quickie - the few times I have done it, when I paper across a wall with a window in it, and I have to cut a short section above and also below the window, by the time I get to the next full length, I have lost plumb-ness as if the short sections are now different widths! Having watched all of the vids in that series I think it might be because I have not allowed them to soak for the same time, hence one may have swelled in width more than the other. Does this seem a likely cause, or is it more likely that I wasnt careful enough with my plumb lines....?

Or both :eek:

Yes it is a likely cause. Some people have the tendency to rush with shorter pieces because they are quite easy. A good way of combating this and allowing the correct soaking time is to paste 2/3/4 short strips (depending on how wide the window is) by which time the first piece will have had time to soak.

Thanks to all for the lively debate/info.

Another quickie - the few times I have done it, when I paper across a wall with a window in it, and I have to cut a short section above and also below the window, by the time I get to the next full length, I have lost plumb-ness as if the short sections are now different widths! Having watched all of the vids in that series I think it might be because I have not allowed them to soak for the same time, hence one may have swelled in width more than the other. Does this seem a likely cause, or is it more likely that I wasnt careful enough with my plumb lines....?

Or both :eek:

It could be a combination of factors yet I would doubt that it will have anything to do with your plumblines, good paperhanging is achieved mainly through both confidence and practice.

Dec

When papering a large wall with a window in the middle, you can lose the plumbline. The short lengths above the window tend to a bit crooked.

If the paper is not patterned then you can draw a new plumbline the other side of the window, and fill in above and below the window.

If patterned, you can paper the bits below the window, which should remain reasonably level. When past the window, check the paper appears level. Then draw a plumbline from the edge of the paper all the way to the ceiling.

Offer length of paper to the last piece of paper, match pattern, and work upwards against the plumbline. Ensure pattern is level with the other side of the window.

You can then fill in above the window with off cuts. You should start at the end you started. You need to make sure the pieces of paper are level. Depending on the pattern, a horizontal level line drawn above the window may help you here. Above the window you may experience a discrepency with the last piece - it may be to wide or too narrow. If so you will have to do your best, remembering above the window shouldn't be too obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back