Paragon living flame fire going out after 20 mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My folks have a Paragon 2000E gas fire.
It lights easily and burns well for 20 mins. Then there is an audible click and it goes out (pilot as well). What I find strange is that often after about 10 mins, it starts clicking as though it is trying to light itself again which it usually does.
I am presuming there is some built in cut off that is being triggered.
It has been in 5 years, regularly serviced, and the problem started 6 weeks ago. They've had someone in but he just serviced it again.
The flue is clear. The coals are laid out as per the book. The flame is good and strong. There is no sign of carbon monoxide build up.
Can anyone advise pls?

Sponsored Links
I have exactly same problem.
Checked with paragon they said printed circuit board at fault (£29) so I have ordered one.
Have taken to isolating electrical supply to fire after I turn it off so it cannot come on itself overnight etc.
Doing this seems to have re-booted the electronics and the problem has not occured since. (over 7 days to date)
Might not need new board when it arrives.

There is no sign of carbon monoxide build up.
how do you know this? Is there a CO detector (properly installed and tested)?
I would suggest getting a second opinion on the problem from a different RGI,

dont know the fire so i might be way off here, but IF the fire has an OSD/ASD which monitors that there is enough fresh air for the fire to burn properly, this may be killing the gas supply due to spillage of POC's down the flue, the reason it comes back on is due to the fact the air in the room has been replenished, check MI's to see if it has OSD/ASD which might need renewed if flue is OK, but you really want to get a decent repair GSR engineer in sooner rather than later, dodgy fire installs kill people

Sponsored Links
kirkgas's post contains most of the likely reasons but just to add to it has chimney been swept before fire was installed or has fire been in for several years? if the answer is it has been there some time then i would recommend you get the chimney swept as it does sound like a build up of Carbon Monoxide causing the OSD to act
get it checked by an RGI with experience of gas fires/flues ASAP!!

osd not causing the problem.Any safty device which switched off the fire would not later switch it on whilst unattended.
Discussed the problem with Paragon engineers who confirm problem caused by faulty printed circuit board. Fire now working as normal.

Thanks to all replies. Very rude of me not to thank you before, but I've been working away and not logged on.
It was the circuit board. Everything fine now. Happy parents!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back