Park Homes - Caravan or Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my parents have just moved into a park home and need some major work throughout the place. Some electrical work will be required including new circuits but I am at a quandry with the regs. Do park homes which are essentially a wooden caravan that doesnt move fall into a normal building installation catergory or do they need to be considered as section 7 special locations? whats you thoughts?

Sponsored Links
No they are not a special location in themselves - Take a look at the definitions in the front of the regs for "Caravan" and "Leisure Accommodation Vehicle".

And also, in section 721's scope, see:

They do not apply to the electrical installations of mobile homes, residential park homes and transportable units.
NOTE 1: For mobile homes and residential park homes the general requirements apply.
NOTE 2: For transportable units sec Section 717.

If you have the regs book see if it comes under the "scope" sections of section 708 and 717

Would the home be deemed as transportable

Thats what I thought yet the whole supply set up to the unit is as if it were a caravan. A small enclosure on a pole before the home with an RCD covering the whole installation, and only a 6mm 32A supply to it as well. No good for the electrica hob and double oven they wanted!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I would not have been looking at 17th Edition but to Part P building regulations and the first question has to be "Is it a building"?

If it's not a building then clearly not under building regulations. I would not think it's classed as a building but much will depend to if it is considered portable and if it under road traffic regulations could be transported.

Sorry can't really answer question but I would be looking at other items not 17th Edition.

Might be easier to check the planning permission for the park as that will state if they are required/considered to be temporary/moveable. Site owner or council will be able to tell you. There may be some reference in their agreement to lease the land.

"Building" is irrelevant.

The question is is the structure a "dwelling"? If it is then Part P applies.

And we all know what the easiest way is to ensure compliance with Part P.....

For the tug boat likely different but narrow boats come under the RCD rules. Lengths and use can of course change what rules apply.

Part P is of course part of the "Building Regulations" and so it has to be considered a building. So Part P does not apply to boats.

However to be classed as a caravan it needs to comply with the construction and use regulations which limits width and lenght. Section 721 does not apply to the electrical installations of mobile homes, residential park homes and transportable units.

I am sure Part P will apply in this case as really they are no different to the prefab homes build in the 50's it does not really matter what the name is they can't be hitched up and towed down the road.

I would say they come under same rules as a house. But without being certain to if they are road legal or not can't really answer. Wheels used purely to assist getting it off the wagon don't make it a caravan. However I have seen pairs of caravans designed to be towed to site and placed next to each other with all the lights etc required to tow them. These would not be classed as a building.

There are problems either way. If a caravan you can't use twin and earth or a TN-C-S supply. Also all the warning notices would need to be in place. My son said many times with his boat why does a boat need to have a notice to say where items are when you live on it. As you come into my house the is not a notice by the front door saying how to switch on and off power as shown in Fig 721. You can't have it both ways. Electrical condition reports every 12 months instead of 10 years.

I would lay odds it's classed as a building. But the LABC may not want to class it as a building. If they do then it means the site owners have to apply to the LABC to change where they are erected and also provide roads and access like with any other housing estate. They are a law to them selves so it may be worth asking them. I would write not phone as they may change their minds and you want proof as to what they said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back