Parking space plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first time here, so will try and explain my query:

I have lived in my property for over 23 years and the parking has always been interesting as I live on an unadopted road.

I had the front garden paved shortly after I moved in, but am now hoping to be able to use the space for parking (lots of issues in the area with bollards/yellow lines causing severe restrictions to parking, plus a new neighbour from hell).

It is a Conservation area and a SSSI.

I would need to build over the small existing lightwell (to partial basement bathroom), reduce the size of the steps to the front door (the house is on a slope so we have 2 ground floor levels and use the side door as main access) and bring the full front width to the same height as the road track (currently higgledy piggledy steps going round and then down).

Hoping this is making sense so far!

The space is 7.5 x 2.5 and the Planning Department look unlikely to approve a full application but say that it isn't really development either.

I'm so confused! The designer now says that he needs to show why it should be considered PD (reasons for not needing planning?)

Would anyone be able to give me advice - I am disabled but on the lower mobility rate so not entitled to a blue badge/parking and struggling.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi ladylou and welcome to the Forum we will help if we can, please can you try to be more specific about your questions, you say you're confused, by what exactly?

Is this basically an application for a dropped kerb onto the front garden, thus becoming a driveway?

It can be a grey area when large earth works or changes to access to dwellings are required with respect to whther it requires planning permission or can be carried out under permitted development.

Presumably the planners suggested a planning application was required for the works and now that a positive outcome is looking doubtful your designer is looking to pursue it under permitted development instead?

The designer said initially that it should get through as an LDC application (there is no curb to drop as it's a dirt track, to which I have access in my deeds) but that there was a risk that it would then be referred on for full planning.

From what I can gather, the planners don't want to be seen to be condoning the work because of the Conservation and SSSI location (although neither of those bodies have raised objections) and have suggested to him to come up with a good LDC application instead.

Is it the politics that I find most confusing?! The area is littered with similar parking arrangements, the difference being that theirs drain onto tarmac whereas mine would drain, as it does now, onto the track - based on sandstone!

I would be happy to use a permeable surface were it not for the fact that the area is already part basement and damp is a problem.

From the PD guidelines, under 5m2 is ok?

Sponsored Links
So the planners have suggested it can be done under Lawful Development, this means that if the application is to be successful the new driveway needs to drain somewhere other than onto the highway or into the mains. Be that with a permeable material or into the ground via a trench alongside the driveway (french drain) or separate soakaway. A soakway can be located elsewhere on your land if practicable.

You mention that damp is an ongoing issue in your basement, having a permeable driveway is unlikely to make any difference to the issue, you will still have exactly the same amount of water enter the earth as before. Had you considered addressing the damp issue?

It should be noted that some permeable materials (like permeable bitmac (or tarmac if you like)) are not very effective over time and tend to clog up a bit with dirt etc, if you get my drift?

The 5m2 rule is to allow for small (less than 5m2) areas to be paved over with impermeable materials that drain into the mains. This will not apply to you so you should ignore it.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back