Parking

Obviously anything you do will only worsen relations with your neighbour. can you post a photo of the land, maybe a google maps overhead and boundary plan? without enough detail to give your location away

Sponsored Links
Yes, I obviously don't want to create ill-will or make things worse. Ownership of the land in question is clearly with our house, and there is a right of way through the entry. There is a tree on our bit of land, and parking just east of the tree does not obstruct the right of way, but equally, I do not believe that the right of way confers a right to park upon anyone else. The neighbour's problem is that he can't park on his side because that would obstruct the right of way, including to his own garage and parking space. He is the first house on his side, we are the second on our side. He's been using the first neighbours space on our side as well, and they clearly don't like it either, although I haven't discussed it with them - yet.

I have written and delivered by hand two letters asking him not to park on my land - he has not replied in writing. I told him when we spoke that I would take legal advice.

Is it easy to put up something like a chain across the entrance to your space ? Ie when you aren't using it, there's a chain hanging across to stop anyone else driving into the space ?

That will physically prevent him parking on your space.

Of course, you may forget to put the chain up sometimes when leaving. You are perfectly entitled to put the chain back up any time ... and if that means he can't get his car out until you get round to dropping the chain then it might do the trick.

Cutting the chain would be criminal damage, should you happen to catch it on a camera and be able to prove who did it.

At present, he'll know full well that there's little you can do without it getting expensive for you. Once it gets inconvenient for him then he'll start to reconsider.

Yes, I obviously don't want to create ill-will or make things worse. Ownership of the land in question is clearly with our house, and there is a right of way through the entry. There is a tree on our bit of land, and parking just east of the tree does not obstruct the right of way, but equally, I do not believe that the right of way confers a right to park upon anyone else. The neighbour's problem is that he can't park on his side because that would obstruct the right of way, including to his own garage and parking space. He is the first house on his side, we are the second on our side. He's been using the first neighbours space on our side as well, and they clearly don't like it either, although I haven't discussed it with them - yet.

I have written and delivered by hand two letters asking him not to park on my land - he has not replied in writing. I told him when we spoke that I would take legal advice.

Talk to your neighbour - power in numbers !
If legals required, you could share the cost.
Simon.

Sponsored Links
The land you own will be outlined in red on your land registry title. Is the car parking space outlined in red?

Yes, it is. I've been away for a week, and he wasn't on our space when we came back early yesterday morning. However, the tree has fallen over completely and is lying on my parking space.

We left the tree lying on its side. Someone removed it and tidied up the square grill area around it and backfilled it with earth. Our next-door neighbour has had words with her letting agent and Mr Nuisance so far has kept off both parking spaces. We saw the old tree lying on the grass by the estate road opposite the entry, but its gone now. I've planted a new shrub with a stout support post. I don't want to resort to legalities and create a track record of disputes. So far so good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back