Parquet Floor - Wrong Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just spent the last day or so sanding the 1950s Mahogany Parquet floor in my kitchen. It had previously been varnished so sanding it off with a sandglider floor sander was quite a challenge but I got there in the end and got a really nice finish. So far so good!

Now my mistake. I chose to finish the floor with HG Parquet Wax 65 it looked stunning until I realised my mistake... this is the kitchen and as soon as a few spots of water hit the floor they created ugly white marks. I now realise that that's what happens with a floor wax and so using it in a kitchen was not a great idea!

Well I guess my only option is to sand it off again and use a floor varnish? Unless there's an easier option, bearing in mind this floor will get water spilled on it from time to time. Any advice would be most welcome particularly the best finish to use.

Oh joy!

Sponsored Links
I've not used this particular product but you will have a problem trying to get a new finish to bond to any waxed floor. I think you will have to go back to the bare wood again. As for new finishes. Water-based polyurethane is the simplest to use but forms a layer over the wood which can make it look "plasticky" and its not possible to touch up if you have accidents. Oil is good, it looks flatter (duller) than wax or polyurethane but allows the grain texture to show and will allow invisible repairs but you will have to put maintenance oil on regularly. Hard-wax oil, as the name suggests, is a cross between wax and oil; it allows the grain texture to show and can be buffed if you want a shine. This will also need maintaining regularly.
I'm not really a fan of wooden floors in kitchens because, to keep them looking good, they take a lot of looking after; but if I was in your position I would probably go for the hardwax oil.

Thanks for the advice, all very sensible.

I had also come to the conclusion that hard wax would be the way to go. However we're going to live with it until the autumn and see how we get on. If anything the problem is becoming less obvious as time goes by and the wax drys harder.

I agree that wood floors aren't great in kitchens and we run a B&B so the kitchen isn't exactly lightly used, we virtually live in there during the summer season! I now understand why the previous owner of our house varnished it lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back