Parquet Flooring and Flagstones, Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I are renovating an 1870's house. Under the lounge carpet is what I presume to be the original Flagstones "great" you might think!

Problem is I was hoping for a screeded floor, as we intend on laying parquet flooring in a double herringbone pattern and as I am sure you are all aware, a flat surface is required. Well the flagstones by nature are not flat!

Here are my options as I see it:

A. Cover the flagstones in a thin screed, a shame to waste them and thin is not good, cracks etc.

B. Take out the flagstones and try to sell them on ebay, lay a new 4" concrete floor for the parquet flooring.

C. Forget it and lay some new carpet.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
D. Install plywood / chipboard on flagstones. Sand this to smooth and level surface. Install herringbone.

I had thought about using ply, how would I fix it to the flagstones, to get a firm fixing?

What thickness ply would be best?

Would 6MMX2440X1220 be ok?

6mm is too thin, you need at least 16 - 18mm for a firm base for the wood blocks,

Sponsored Links
Just to add on, make sure the plywood is exterior or WPB

Gee!

If it needs to be of that spec, then it will cost more than the 20mm parquet!

(Well not quite £195 that's a bit much for what is essentially **** wood)
How about 12X2440X1220 Chipboard?

Maybe I should go for ripping the stones out and concreting!

Or just plain simple boring carpet!

Why so thick its on to a solid floor not joists?

Plus I don't really want to add on another 38-40mm height, 20mm is ok!

amason79 said:
Why so thick its on to a solid floor not joists?
A) you need to level your exisitng floor out as much as possible.
B) your installing a wood block pattern that needs a solid base, otherwise your floor will move and finaly come disconnected from the base.

Dig the bugger right out and install insulation slab and damp proof membrane.as per new build.....the concrete can be levelled smooth enough to take the parquet.........Just what I`m going to do in one of our rooms ;) going to use reclaimed reclaimed wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back