Part-blocked microbore - what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My microbore central heating pipes are part blocked at some of these T-pieces and where the pipes go from 15mm down to 10mm. My plan was take the fittings apart and rod the pipes with a wire.

Pipes say HBP on them and I've been told they are old Hep20 pipes. I've also been told they are non-demountable except for a couple of connectors at the end of the 15mm, which have collars (marked with lines) that can be unscrewed and then separated.

How would you tackle this? Would you chop all the fittings out and rejoin with all new fittings? Rod what I can from the points I can disconnect? Or something else?

Also, does anyone know if these fittings are available to buy anywhere or can recommend a different brand that's suitable for these pipes?

Any advice welcome and thanks in advance.

IMG_20200320_140506681.jpg
IMG_20200320_140517688.jpg
IMG_20200320_140706964.jpg
IMG_20200320_140752162.jpg
IMG_20200320_140807508.jpg

Sponsored Links
A couple of rads don't work, another has next to no flow. Plumber tried chemical approach and Adey Magnacleanse machine but it didn't work. He suggested next step was ripping up floor, finding manifolds and unblocking from there. So this is where I'm at at present.

It looks like there's plenty of spare length in the pipes, you can afford therefore to chop out and re-make with new fittings and nice square ends. Don't forget to use inserts when remaking.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
HBP - Hepworth Building Products - were the original name for them. The ones you have are non demountable apart, as you say, the ones with the screw caps. Even then they need new grab rings if you are pulling them apart and the grab ring slips. They may have the old steel inserts that were susceptible to gunging up, I'm not totally sure whether it is a barrier pipe or not, given it's age but I believe the BS7291 specifies it is suitable for CH systems.

Cutting and refitting with new couplers as @Nozzle suggests may be the best course of action

Thank you Nozzle and Madrab. Can you recommend any particular brand of couplers to go with the pipes? Or is any brand OK providing the pipe has an insert?

Hep2o would probably be the most compatible. Just as an extra query though, how do you know they are blocked at the tee's or is that just a guesstimate from the plumber?

A guestimate from the plumber but pipes have been rodded a few feet from the radiator end.

What a mess, which boiler do you have ? might not be that monstrosoty of pipe work that is your problem

Halstead condensing boiler but that's been given a clean bill of health.
Monstrosity of pipe work is by Wilcon Homes - and I am 99% sure pipe blockages at the T-s and where pipe goes from 15mm to 10mm are the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back