Part P and Park Homes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if Part P is relevant to Park Homes as well as fixed domestic housing?

By Park Homes I mean those mainly timber framed homes that are delivered to a site on low loaders and then, when in position, sat on stands but with the wheels still fitted but of the ground.

dave

Sponsored Links
I'd assume so but can't be certain.

As far as general building regs is concerned though, it's dependent on whether or not it's used as a holiday home or permanent residence. If it's a permanent residence then it must comply with double glazing regs, insulation etc if it's a new park home.

Regards

fred

Part P applies to electrical installations in
buildings or parts of buildings comprising:
• dwelling houses and flats;
• dwellings and business premises that
have a common supply – for example
shops and public houses with a flat
above;
• common access areas in blocks of flats
such as corridors and staircases;
• shared amenities of blocks of flats such
as laundries and gymnasiums.
Part P applies also to parts of the above
electrical installations:
• in or on land associated with the
buildings – for example Part P applies to
fixed lighting and pond pumps in
gardens;
• in outbuildings such as sheds, detached
garages and greenhouses.

You've got a building, its a domestic premises so I would say yes Part P applies.

dave.m said:
By Park Homes I mean those mainly timber framed homes that are delivered to a site on low loaders and then, when in position, sat on stands but with the wheels still fitted but of the ground.
What - a caravan?

Sponsored Links
That was my first reaction also Softus :LOL:

I would say permanency would be the issue here ... If someone parks a mobile something on my drive and I run out a 13 amp lead to it to power its lights and TV then I wouldn't consider Part P to be relevant.

I agree [with the permanency test].

Given that the aim of the legislation is to reduce risk (of injury, maiming, fire, blood, death etc.) then a 13A extension presents no particular extra risk, it being fused an' all. But structured cabling has to be sized, protected, and earthed correctly for the installation to be safe.

The trouble with this type of caravan (aka "Park Home" :rolleyes:) is that they are permanent. If it's powered by nothing more than a 13A trailing extension lead, then fine, but if there's any kind of structured cabling and supply to multiple circuits, then if it isn't in Part P territory there's something wrong with Part P.

Interesting points being made.
What about all other parts of the Building Regulations? Do caravans need to comply with those?
Regards

Aren't they still known as mobile home parks or I'm I still in the dark ages? :LOL:

I've been to some where the supply is simply taken from a distribution stand for all services (elec/water/gas/waste) similar to caravan sites.

These homes still have CU's and the usual array of circuits though but just plug in to an RCD protected supply ... Are these subject to Part P?

Don't know the answer myself so I await responses :LOL:

Park Homes - these are permenant! They are sold as homes in the property guide of the local paper, as opposed to the caravanners weekly! :LOL: I'd consider them permenant homes.

From
http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/Wire...ng_wiring_matters_part_p_comes_into_force.pdf

Q : Do caravans, mobile homes, and park homes come under part P?
A:
Caravans, mobile homes, and park Homes are treated as caravans
under legislation, and do not ordinarily fall within the definition of a building in the Building Regulations, and therefore would not normally come under Part P.
Also, to clarify the situation most two-unit caravans (those which are delivered in two sections and bolted together on site) fall within the definition of caravans as referred to above...
This was the 'take' by IEE at 2005 'P' launch... 'P' itself has been changed as of 2006...
You would need to peruse the building regs.

[url=http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:Ew7NSg7NJg0J:www.barsby.com/safeashouses.pdf+mobile+homes+%2Belectricity+%2Blaw&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=uk]Andrew Barsby[/url] said:
...The law has decisions to make about how to distinguish between caravans and houses, and whether occupiers of the former should be treated in the same way as occupiers of the latter. The results are by no means straightforward...
Undated.. So could be different now.

But maybe not --
[url=http://www.norwegianlog.co.uk/default.asp?id=584&ver=1]Log Cabin [/url] said:
Norwegian Log's transportable homes comply fully with the Caravan Act as mobile homes, so they're exempt from VAT and Building Regulations. They can be positioned just about anywhere you can site an ordinary caravan, yet they offer up to four bedrooms and two bath/shower rooms plus ample living space.

:rolleyes:

This has got me thinking.

I have number of friends who live full time on canal boats. Some of them are moored in boatyards and connected (albeit not permanently) to services at the moorings, others are on canalside private moorings, and still others cruise around never staying in the same place for long.

Some have mains voltage electrical installations on board, others just run a 12V system. Most have all steel construction for both hulls and cabins - don't suppose you want a short to that!

So they're all dwellings (covered by Part P?), they have varying degrees of permanence, and varying sorts of electrical installations. I know there is the Boat Safety Certificate scheme, but that is a periodical inspection thing like an MOT - not a set of rules about who can safely perform and notify potentially hazardous works. It also only applies on the canals themselves - not necessarily if the boat never leaves a private boatyard.

Where do people think such canal boats stand?

I really don't think that boats of any form can be classed as permanent residences ... Just my opinion though :LOL:

Edited: To clarify ... Obviously they can be permanent residences i.e. it may be someone's permanent place of residence but not permanent in terms of building regs.

Thanks for a very varied and constructive discussion.

Just to clarify what a park home is.

It can be a 'single' or 'twin' caravan type vehicle, but is almost always moved on a low loader.
They vary in width from 10 feet to a max of 14 feet (14' being the max that can normally be transported on the UK highways without special regs. being invoked).
Most sites have full electrical, gas, water and sewage facilities that you would expect to find in any street in town.
Each park home is sited and connected to all the main services when it is positioned on its regulation concrete base.
Once in situ it can, when looked after correctly, stay there for upwards of 60 years but most site owners insist that, although it is sat on stands (legs) the wheels must remain on the axles and off the floor. This requirement ensures that they are classed as mobile.
Although the owners live in them permanently all year round the actual home is not a permanent fixture on the site, as a brick built office would be.
Our home is a twin, it came on two lorries, and is fully wired with a CU and things like socket ringmain etc.

Some park homes are classed as holiday homes and local government regulations apply whereby the owners can only live in them for 10 or 11 months each year.

Once again, Thanks for the info and it would appear that as we are not sat on the ground and have no foundations and can be moved (with a bit of difficulty), Part P may not involve us.

dave

Don't caravans/static homes come under Section 6 of BS7671 - Special Locations? Therefore covered by Part P.?

gcresser said:
Don't caravans/static homes come under Section 6 of BS7671 - Special Locations? Therefore covered by Part P.?
What do you believe the relationship between Part P and BS7671 to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back