Part P and terminolgy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just checking what can and can't do within regs and could someone please explain the term 'modifying a final circuit in a kitchen (ie sockets etc)'
What is a final circuit please? And does this stop me (competent but not certified) from adding a spur out through the back of the kitchen ring main into a 'non kitchen room'.

Cheers :idea:

Sponsored Links
nowtaboutnowt said:
Hi
Just checking what can and can't do within regs and could someone please explain the term 'modifying a final circuit in a kitchen (ie sockets etc)'
What is a final circuit please? And does this stop me (competent but not certified) from adding a spur out through the back of the kitchen ring main into a 'non kitchen room'.

Cheers :idea:

I'll take the bait.

modifying a final circuit = extending or adding to said circuit.

What is a final circuit = Any circuit that starts from the consumer unit, as in a final circuit & not a distribution circuit.

It will be notifiable as the circuit is in a special location (kitchen) even though you want the new socket in another room.
Plus competent or certified the work will require testing and certificating with a minor works cert.

Cheers for that comms

:?: While your on... on the inside of a FCU cover it has 1.25mm-1.5mm.
Is this the max thickness of cable as I was under the impression that 99% of 13A FCUs would be for spurring off socket ring mains and therefore 2.5mm.

Cheers

that may be the flex outlet size..

if you use 2.5 3 core it would be too big for the outlet hole and any retaining measure ( clamp or clip )

Sponsored Links
doesn't harm for a competent person to double check does it?
How many of you `competent` persons out there have to nip to the van to `double check` an MCB`s max Zs value ?
Ive seen many a `competent` spark on here asking questions about regs,remember its better to be safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that festa, I was beginning to think this site had a rapidly spreading virus called 'sarcasm'

I was going to ask what the live wire did.........? But I won't bother now :LOL:

EAWR 1989 Reg 16. "No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work."

I'd say that not understanding the term 'final circuit' isn't a good start.

As for the 'competence' of people who call themselves 'electrician', a huge proportion of them are not.

The term 'electrician' has no legal status, but the legal competence regulation (above) is pretty clear.

I can remember a time when i had a united utilities guy out to reconnect the mains after i had replaced a consumer unit and when i was showing him my test results he laughed and asked why i called all the cooker circuit a `final` circuit.....
He said ` only ring circuits are final circuits`......
AND THIS WAS THE GUY CHECKING MY TEST RESULTS AND RECONNECTING THE MAINS..... :rolleyes:

Wooooo................. :eek:
Firstly I have never said I was an electrician.
I was purely questioning part p regs from a 'joe puplic' perspective and having read a lot to try and answer the q's, I have never come across the term 'final circuit' only the terms radial and ring main.
:?:
Apologies for questioning an uncertainty (thought this place was to question and not take for granted and remain ignorant or dead) :?:

festa said:
... united utilities guy out to reconnect ...

He said ` only ring circuits are final circuits`......
AND THIS WAS THE GUY CHECKING MY TEST RESULTS AND RECONNECTING THE MAINS..... :rolleyes:

And, very likely, not a qualified electrician, but a cable jointer.

nowtaboutnowt said:
Firstly I have never said I was an electrician.
Never said you did. You did, however, say you were competent. I'm sure you were unaware of the implications of that assertion.

I'd hazard that a good fifty percent-plus of 'professionals' working on domestic electricians are not legally competent.

I was purely questioning part p regs from a 'joe puplic' perspective and I have never come across the term 'final circuit' only the terms radial and ring main.

Fair do's and sorry to use your post to 'have a go'.

A final circuit is one used to supply current-using electrical equipment, as opposed to a distribution circuit, used to supply a secondary distribution board/consumer unit.

Friends now? :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back