Part P costs - I think I've got to the bottom of this!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I think I have figured out the pricing strategy of electrical inspection costs for my local BC office now.

I sent off for the relevant information on notifying building works (on a completely unrelated matter), and the information I received appears to apply to Part P of the building regs also.

There is a table, with "Builder's estimate" in one column "Inspection cost" in the other. It starts with £75 for works up to (if I recall) £1000, and the inspection cost increases with works cost. At £101,000 works cost, the inspection fee is about £250. I will verify these figures when I get home, I just had one of those burning bush moments and it dawned on me that THIS is the cost of inspection, at least for my BC area.

Now, it would seem these costs apply to ALL works, including special trades, where independent inspection and certification is required. However, seeing as with DIY work the labour cost is zero, DIY electrical works will generally fall into the lowest bracket unless you are doing something really big. After all, you could always price your £50-a-socket designer accessories as £1.40 budget items that you later upgraded (notification not required as it was an existing circuit). Perhaps there would be disagreement as to whether this upgrade can be performed before or after certification, and for the sake of £10 difference in inspection costs, I doubt I would bother to argue the point! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nice try Adam but I think you will find that the ‘estimate’, for the cost of carrying out work, means an estimate that the Council accept as being a reasonable amount as would be charged for the work by a person in business to carry out the work. If you've got a mate who can supply an estimate on headed paper you may get away with it, but I think you will need to show a figure for labour cost.

So, tradesmen will be called out for yet more dead-ended quotes... :rolleyes:

LABTYD.

Anyway - they aren't dead-ended quotes, they are simpy an increase in the cost of doing business thanks to Part P of the Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
...or 'a nice little earner' for your Council, who can pass on this benefit by keeping your Council Tax demand lower than it would have been.
(perhaps?)

Groan,..........the reason for the fees is partly to fund the council, and partly to make it a little more appealing to potential customers to use Competent Persons. There's a whole load of devious politics in all this, with the likes of FENSA, CORGI, OFTEC, NICICEC (or whatever stupid string of initials they've given themselves), milking any mug for pointless fees while pronouncing about the benefits of having pseudo qualified plonks to do the job.

Eeh, that's better :D

Had a chat with the Maidstone LABC this morning who were *very* helpful. Gave me the name of the pro sparky who would be doing their Part P inspections until they could tame their own one, and when I voiced my concerns that the "estimate" for my rewiring would be absurdly low he advised that the estimate should be reasonable for the works specified.

Furthermore that until they had their system in order, they would be charging cost for getting the 2 inspections made by their nominated tradesman. 2 inspections - first in the middle of the job, second at the end prior to juicing-up for meggering.

After the Part P system settles down, they would charge a percentage of quotation for works, just like any other building inspection.

He emphasised that they are a "not for profit" organisation. why he felt that this needed stressing I cannot imagine ...

other LABC's may be in very similar positions, I suppose. Now may well be the time to get good work done and certified at a low cost.

SparkyTris said:
He emphasised that they are a "not for profit" organisation. why he felt that this needed stressing I cannot imagine ...
From what I have been told, Building Control is one of the most profitable parts of the Council. All 'profit' goes into the central pot and is used to run the local community.

By 'not for profit' organisation I'm sure he meant that all 'profit' is spent back into the community. This doesn't stop Councils charging top dollar for everything.

I'm extending my house here, this entails just 2 visits from Building Control (due to the nature of the work) and the regs inspection fees were over £500. First visit was about 45 seconds. The final visit will be about 5 minutes max. Not bad work for £500+. Non Profit Making? I don't think so!

AdamW said:
I just had one of those burning bush moments

You've been warned before about doing DIY whilst incorrectly attired, this is espeically true with electrics ;)

Just enquired about a Part P building control inspection with my council. It will cost about £50, for the initial wiring inspection, but they won't test it for that. I need to find an electrician who is BSxxxx certified (can't remember exactly what xxxx equals), who is willing to inspect it, for no doubt some exhorbitant fee, with no doubt a 3 month waiting list before he can do it.

And this is meant to encourage people to ensure their electrics are safe!

As a thought, since you can get restrospective BC approval isn't is worth ignoring getting approval until you want to sell the house then doing the whole lot a one go? The fees work out less that way.

I'm being devil's advocate here BTW.

you want to sell your house

a pir is done (which was probally long overdue anyway)

sparky puts down previous records not availible

sparky lists faults

faults are fixed

house is sold.

...house is sold.

PIR results are placed on file with Building Control.

New owner fiddles with the wiring.

New owner wants to sell the house.

Sparky gets previous results from BC.

New owner in trouble.

:?: :?: :?:

PIR results are placed on file with Building Control.
Will this happen necessarily? If it was picked up on a survey and all it needed was a PIR then surely that would just go to the buyer.

Presumably BC would only get involved if they were asked to carry out the inspection.

I'm not into local bureaucracy so I'm just asking the question.

i wondered that. what is to stop somone doing all the work they want and then just saying it was carried out before part p came into force?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back