Volunteers and Part P

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I understand your problem - I'm on a committee that is trying to fund the construction of an access for disabled people to a local amenity. But the way forward is raising funds, not having the work done illegally.

IMO the aims of Part P were laudible, but the implementation was poorly thought out, because of situations like yours. WIBNI there was a fund equivalent of that for legal aid work, so that the work would be done safely and the experts would still get paid?

No one is suugesting the work in done illegally. But one is asking why fully competent electricians working occasionally as volunteers have to pays £2000 to be able to prove they are able to self certify their own work when some outright bodgers working full time and ripping of customers can easily find the £2000 from a few jobs and go out a self certify their own poor quality work.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
No one is suugesting the work in done illegally. But one is asking why fully competent electricians working occasionally as volunteers have to pays £2000 to be able to prove they are able to self certify their own work
They don't have to - they can notify the work up front.

...when some outright bodgers working full time and ripping of customers can easily find the £2000 from a few jobs and go out a self certify their own poor quality work.
Perhaps I'm being naive here, but surely the training they receive would improve the standard of their work, or they wouldn't qualify for registration?

Softus
oops looks like the mods are running their own sweepstake ..lol

Yeah - you're not allowed to write the word "locked" or "locking". :evil:

Thanks,
now it makes sense.
Yes I`m a bit slow.
(Beer headache)

dingbat said:
Part P is exactly what it was intended to be. It is a requirement, under the Building Regulations, that reasonable provision is made to ensure the safety of electrical installations. And that is all that can be asked without resorting to creating a closed shop, with its inherent abuses. (And a closed shop would benefit the big boys far more than the sole trader.)

As it stands, it requires certain minimum standards - BS 7671 - and has recourse to the law to correct deficiencies and punish offenders. Of course, like all legislation, some will ignore it and many will be ignorant (have you been on the roads lately?) but undoubtedly it is and will continue to improve standards.

Yes, cowboys will continue to operate; but whatever the measures, there would always be a criminal element. The fact that this criminal element now includes supposedly qualified electricians who are happy to flout the law yet unwilling to subject their ability to scrutiny speaks volumes about the hard reality of their so-called 'expertise'.

'The cost of being able to self certify' is insignificant... unless one needs training and equipment to be able to do what one's credentials suggest you should already be capable of.

I have little but scorn for these charlatans.

I couldn't agree more.

Softus said:
bernardgreen said:
No one is suugesting the work in done illegally. But one is asking why fully competent electricians working occasionally as volunteers have to pays £2000 to be able to prove they are able to self certify their own work
They don't have to - they can notify the work up front.

...when some outright bodgers working full time and ripping of customers can easily find the £2000 from a few jobs and go out a self certify their own poor quality work.
Perhaps I'm being naive here, but surely the training they receive would improve the standard of their work, or they wouldn't qualify for registration?

The training they receive would show them how to do the work to a required standard. But that does not mean they will always work to achieve that standard where the client has no way of verifying the standard of the work. I am NOT tarring all with that brush. It may even work against maintaining good standards as the self certifying "electrician" can "prove" his work is up to the standard by issuing his own certificate reducing the client's incentive to have the work assesed by an independent assessor/inspector. Shoddy drives, roof and other building work can be seen, shoddy electrical work is not visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back