PART P electrican - which body should they be a member of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need an electrician for my new kitchen but have no recommendations. I know they need to be PART P but how should I go about finding a reputable one - is there an association they should be a member of? I've seen ECA and ELECSA - are they appropriate or just ways of buying accreditation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think there are 7 schemes, each of which requires a person with Part P training to register and submit 2 jobs for assessment for the scheme 'owners'.

Once the initial assessment is done, the scheme owners arrange to audit the Part P registered members yearly, again via on site assessment.

BRE Certification Ltd
Phone: 0870 609 6093

British Standards Institution
Phone: 01442 230442

ELECSA Limited
Phone: 0870 749 0080

NAPIT Certification Limited
Phone: 0870 444 1392

NICEIC Certification Services Ltd
Phone: 0800 013 0900

CORGI Services Limited
Phone: 01256 372200

OFTEC (Oil Firing Technical Association for the Petroleum Industry Limited)
Phone: 0845 658 5080

The last 2 are authorised competent person self-certification schemes for installers who can do electrical work only if it is necessary when they are carrying out other work.

I sure some Part P schemes are better than others, as are the engineers.

Commissioning a competent person via a scheme is essential, but I would also interview the contractor and make sure his skill level is suitable for the work.

There's no point in using a sparks with only new build skills, if yours is a 200 year old listed cottage.

Thank you. Definitely not new build so will be sure to enquire!

also getting a part p electrician does not guarantee good standard of work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back