Part P - for an Engineer, how hard, expensive & long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm looking at buying a house that will need re-wiring. Despite the fact I'm a Chartered Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering I read that I'm supposed to have part p certification to reqwire it myself.

How much does it cost to take the exam?

I deal with 415V wiring day to day in my career so probably wouldn't need to be taught the material, are there reference books available?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hello

I'm looking at buying a house that will need re-wiring. Despite the fact I'm a Chartered Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering I read that I'm supposed to have part p certification to reqwire it myself.

I deal with 415V wiring day to day in my career so probably wouldn't need to be taught the material, are there reference books available?

Thanks for any advice.

On site guide.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IEE--site-G...8546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295598871&sr=8-1

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

Part P is a bit of a joke in terms of notification, you can notify via local building control and pay for the priveledge if you really want to.

Good online guide to the old regs here:

Hello

Thanks for any advice.

This type of work requred Building Control approval - this can be acheived by an electrician who belongs to one of the competent persons scheme or and individual.

There is no such thing as a Part P certificate or examination.
The key thing is an understanding of BS7671, Guidance Notes 3 on Inspection and testing and the Building Regulations. In other words be able to design, install, inspect and test the circuits while complying with all elements of the Building Regulations - it is not just Part P you have to comply with.

If you are confident in all three elements then you should speak to your Local Authority Building Control Office, they will be able to guide you on the application process to do the work yourself. There will be a fee involved but it will be a lot less than the examinations and membership fees to join a competent persons scheme.

First thing is to go and talk to the people in the Building Control office. If you can convince them you are competent to design and install the wiring to a safe standard then they may accept that you can do the work and sign it off as being compliant.

Many LBO place more emphasis on "is competent" rather than "is certified". You will probably still have to pay the notification fee but provided the LBO agree to accept your signature on a compliance form then it will be a lot cheaper than employing a "registered" electrician.

But you have to be competent and convince the LBO that you are.

Sponsored Links
First thing is to go and talk to the people in the Building Control office. If you can convince them you are competent to design and install the wiring to a safe standard then they may accept that you can do the work and sign it off as being compliant.

Many LBO place more emphasis on "is competent" rather than "is certified". You will probably still have to pay the notification fee but provided the LBO agree to accept your signature on a compliance form then it will be a lot cheaper than employing a "registered" electrician.

But you have to be competent and convince the LBO that you are.

And still pay the LBO a fistful of cash for the priveledge.

"A 230 V linear appliance used on a 240 V supply will take 4.3% more current and will consume almost 9% more energy"

That's not right. Power = Volts * Current, reduce the voltage, Current goes up but power stays the same.

Not sure I trust that site![/i]

It's right for a resistive appliance. You are thinking of an appliance with a switched mode power suppy.

And still pay the LBO a fistful of cash for the priveledge.

If they do the assessment as a paper exercise on their desk and rely on the installer to self certify then with out site visits specifically for the electrical work the fee for the electrical may be less than expected.

That's not right. Power = Volts * Current, reduce the voltage, Current goes up but power stays the same.

Don't tell that to the LBO if you want to be seen as competent to design your installation.

"A 230 V linear appliance used on a 240 V supply will take 4.3% more current and will consume almost 9% more energy"

That's not right.
Yes it is

Power = Volts * Current, reduce the voltage, Current goes up but power stays the same.
Making statements like this makes it sound like even though you are "Chartered Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering" and even though you "deal with 415V wiring day to day" you are seriously rusty on basic electrical theory.

If the appliance is linear (which in practice means resistive since practical inductors aren't particularlly linear and significant capacitive loads are rare) the statement is indeed correct and in a domestic situation the largest loads are generally resistive.

Local colleges are the cheapest places to take the EAL Domestic Installer course, but to be able to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations you'd then need to join one of the Competent Person schemes, e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back