Part P - for an Engineer, how hard, expensive & long?

It is unfortunate that the general public do not appreciate the distinction between energy and power. That allows cowboy firms who produce voltage reducing equipment to equate a 9% reduction of power with a 9% reduction of energy.

Legally they are right when claiming the power reduction but the conclusion they make is too complex for the innumerate public to realise thay are being ripped off.

Sponsored Links
I had great fun once at an exhibition where there was a stand with some company selling one of those voltage reducing jobbies, asking a guy on it to explain how it would save me money.

He found it less and less fun as we progressed, and eventually refused to talk to me any more "because I was only there to cause trouble".

I did suggest that if he wanted to see what trouble really was I could hang around and explain to people that came onto the stand how useless the device really was, and he threatened to call security.

Hello

I'm looking at buying a house that will need re-wiring. Despite the fact I'm a Chartered Engineer with a degree in Electrical Engineering I read that I'm supposed to have part p certification to reqwire it myself.

How much does it cost to take the exam

I deal with 415V wiring day to day in my career so probably wouldn't need to be taught the material, are there reference books available?

Thanks for any advice.

and....... you seem to be up your own arse to be honest a hard days graft might kill you, dont count your chickens just yet. ;)

I did a course in soldering, at college, then a load of graduates were invited to do the same soldering course, they failed, badly.

Sponsored Links
I did a course in soldering, at college, then a load of graduates were invited to do the same soldering course, they failed, badly.

Presumably they returned the favour by inviting you to sit degree level exams?

People have different abilities and skills. This variety is an advantage, not an opportunity for you to feel superior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back