Part P for extension

ban-all-sheds said:
They did, but they did not plan for LABCs who failed to pay attention.

didthathurt said:
He disagrees, and says that provided the signatory, at the time of the certification, is a "Competent Person" then he is signing to say that he carried out (or supervised) the work and can confirm it complies with Building Regs, that means, he said, that a job could be started and provided the guy undertaking the work was "Competent" at the point power was applied to the work he'd done, it was legal for him to do it.

The law is quite clear that the person doing the work must be registered, or else he has to notify it in advance.

Not "be registered by the time he finishes" - be registered when he is doing it.

Yes this is interesting. If didthathurt is quoting the inspector correctly then it suggests that he is confused about the rules, because "competent" and "registered" are quite different things.

I am "competent" but "non-registered" and will be doing my own non-notifiable work on my house which will need BC inspection for other reasons. Your tale has now convinced me that I need to discuss this with my LBC office in advance to make sure I don't get a "you're not registered, so therefore you're not competent" crap.

Sponsored Links
When you talk to them bear in mind that although it is not in the legislation, the Approved Document does use the term "competent person scheme", meaning one of the schemes that confer competence to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations.

So if your LABC say that you are not competent, they probably mean that you are not a member of a competent person scheme, not that they consider you incompetent to do electrical work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back