Part P for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The local electrician I'm using for my extension had "Part P" 6 months ago and is now reapplying and hopes to have within 4-6 weeks time. Is this something that my building inspector might pull me up on when the build is finished? Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
You'd have to ask them that question, as far as the law is concerned if the work is notifiable and your electrician is not a member of a competent person scheme then it is illegal for him not to notify the work to LABC.

if an extention has been built then surely the whole extention has been notified to building control and its thier responsibility to inspect any parts of it they deem nessacery.

however if the plans you submitted said an electrician who was part of one of the competant person schemes would be used then i guess they could possily get you because you didn't follow the plans you submitted.

assuming he gets his "Part P" next month or even after the extensions complete, would it cover this work done when he wasn't Part P approved :?:

THanks

Sponsored Links
miked1 said:
assuming he gets his "Part P" next month or even after the extensions complete, would it cover this work done when he wasn't Part P approved :?:

THanks

Mike, the answer is no.

Also, you cannot 'get', 'have', 'pass' or otherwise acquire a 'Part P'.

There is no such thing as Part P certificates, qualifications, test equipment or electricians for that matter.

You clearly don't fully understand the requirement and it sounds as if your 'electrician' doesn't have the first clue about what he has to do. By that I mean he is NOT registered and therefore the work must be notified to LABC and the appropriate fee paid prior to commencing work.

Read the approved document for yourself. Then sack your cowboy and employ a registered electrician.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000001253.html

Even if you could "have" Part P 6m ago, why is he having to reapply now? Sounds tres poissonny to me...

I bet what he's saying is that he sat an EAL2 or DISQ course six months ago and he's only just got up the courage to apply for assessment. (I'll bet he'd never tested a thing in his life prior to the course and that his test equipment is still fresh out of the box!)

Dingbat, if this is the case, what are the potential problems I face, e.g. he does 1st fixing, BCO comes along says looks ok go ahead and plaster, we board and plaster and finish the job... will the BCO or someone else ask for proof that the electrician is a member of a competent persons body or has sat the assessments you mention? Thanks vmuch, Mike.

No - if they intend to accept an EIC issued by your electrician then they will have satisfied themselves about his competence.

And the fact that they are there inspecting the electrics means that they are not being done by a registered electrician, as if they were, he would be self-certifying.

Remember there are two basic requirements for part P:
1) Notification of notifiable work
2) Competence/standards

The only difference between registered and non-registered electricians is WHEN they need to notify notifiable work. As has been stated, if he wasn't registered then he/you should have notified before he started.

However the notification is there for a purpose, and that purpose is fulfilled by the fact that the electrical work is part of a larger installation which must be inspected by BC. So if the BC took you to task over the notification then they would be nit-picking.

Your bigger problem, as Dingbat has suggested, is whether or not he is really competent to do the work. If he is, then even not being registered is not a problem except that BC may want to inspect his work. However if he is not and the work needs to be redone... :eek:

There is nothing here to suggest that he is not competent.

For all we know he's been trading for years, but has been a Part P refusenik who only recently gave in.

To say that there is something fishy going on, and that he never tested before, and that he is a cowboy who should be sacked etc is incredibly wild speculation.

dingbat said:
miked1 said:

THanks

Mike, the answer is no.

I was on site today and talking to the LABC Inspector about Part P, among other things, so I thought I'd pose this one to him. He disagrees, and says that provided the signatory, at the time of the certification, is a "Competent Person" then he is signing to say that he carried out (or supervised) the work and can confirm it complies with Building Regs, that means, he said, that a job could be started and provided the guy undertaking the work was "Competent" at the point power was applied to the work he'd done, it was legal for him to do it.
They really thought this Part P bit out before they enacted it, didn't they!

They did, but they did not plan for LABCs who failed to pay attention.

didthathurt said:
He disagrees, and says that provided the signatory, at the time of the certification, is a "Competent Person" then he is signing to say that he carried out (or supervised) the work and can confirm it complies with Building Regs, that means, he said, that a job could be started and provided the guy undertaking the work was "Competent" at the point power was applied to the work he'd done, it was legal for him to do it.

The law is quite clear that the person doing the work must be registered, or else he has to notify it in advance.

Not "be registered by the time he finishes" - be registered when he is doing it.

but surely if the job is building an extention the job as a whole will have been notified to building control (as i'm pretty sure some parts of building an extention cannot be self certified)

i don't see anything special about the electrical part of the job in this regard.

Yes it will have been notified already - the important thing there as you pointed out is what did he say on the building notice or plans submission about how he intended to comply with Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back