Part P inspection in regards to IEE 17th, regulation 526.3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently read up on the junction box regulations especially regulation 526.3.

See
http://download.hager.com/hagergrou...hley_Product_Information/JunctionBoxGuide.pdf

I haven't done much in my house since last year but, i now know of two areas which wouldn't coincide with the new regulation that were done previous to January. i.e they are hidden and non assessable - at least not very easy!

Now what my question is, if i for example get a part P certificate inspection or move house and require a test will these be flagged up and need replacing with, other method or maintenance free boxes?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I haven't done much in my house since last year but, i now know of two areas which wouldn't coincide with the new regulation that were done previous to January. i.e they are hidden and non assessable - at least not very easy!

Under the 16th all junctions and connections not done using permanent means had to be accessible, nowt new about it...

...other than a few odd bits like the grey area surrounding chocboxes by downlights, but thats just cos they had to think of something to "improve", to validate their existence.

Under the 16th all junctions and connections not done using permanent means had to be accessible, nowt new about it...

...other than a few odd bits like the grey area surrounding chocboxes by downlights, but thats just cos they had to think of something to "improve", to validate their existence.

Well that guide i link to is not worded right then is it?

I thought a guide or more on here said junction boxes were ok and now since Jan the note has been added on them to say not confirming to 17th edition?

how about inspection of my junction boxes, do i have to completely destroy my recently refloored/redecorated room?

I thought a guide or more on here said junction boxes were ok and now since Jan the note has been added on them to say not confirming to 17th edition?

Nope.

Inaccesible junction boxes have not been allowed as long as I have been in the trade

how about inspection of my junction boxes, do i have to completely destroy my recently refloored/redecorated room?

Yep. Thats the exact reason why they are not allowed.

Sponsored Links
Not clicked, but I know what its all about.

Doubt has been raised about terminating a solid-drawn (such as in T&E) and a stranded wire (such as in flex) into the same terminal, as in a standard cheap-o choc-box. 17th edition has not bought this on, its been debated around for a while.

The accessability part of it has been around for a long while now, possibly since 15th ed. (anyone?)

Just had a read of the hager link.

There is nothing in there which is factually inaccurate. It is just well worded to sell their product.

Hi

I have recently read up on the junction box regulations especially regulation 526.3.

See
http://download.hager.com/hagergrou...hley_Product_Information/JunctionBoxGuide.pdf

Now what my question is, if i for example get a part P certificate inspection or move house and require a test will these be flagged up and need replacing with, other method or maintenance free boxes?

Many thanks.

Not sure you've quite had the answer you were looking for. Doubt they would flag up any problems - a big chunk of the country is living in houses with junction boxes under the floorboards and in similar hard to get at places - those houses are not unsaleable because of it even though they dont meet current regulations. It's unlikely anything you have added would come up (if they were even spotted).

Part P is all about new work done.

Of course the joke is that someone doing a periodic inspection isn't going to go ripping up floors so unless someone tells them about the inaccessible junction boxes they will never know there is anything to flag up.

526-04-01 says the same as 526.3 well nearly there are four exceptions to the rule in BS7671:2001 and 3 exceptions in BS7671:1992 and 5 exceptions in 17th Edition it now allows "(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground".
And 522.8.5 has not even changed number was 522-08-05 and 133.1.4 was 133-01-04 in BS7671:2001 and 130-02-05 in BS7671:1992 so again no change.
526.9 was 526.03.03 so again no change.
So all the regulations have be in from at least 1992 and most likely before that. Yes it is Junction Box Guide to 17th as they have given up to date reference numbers but it is only they reference that has changed rules been there all the time. At least back to my old green book of 1994 vintage.
Eric

Hi

See

Many thanks.

Not sure you've quite had the answer you were looking for. Doubt they would flag up any problems - a big chunk of the country is living in houses with junction boxes under the floorboards and in similar hard to get at places - those houses are not unsaleable because of it even though they dont meet current regulations. It's unlikely anything you have added would come up (if they were even spotted).

Part P is all about new work done.

Thank you for all your replies. That is what i was looking for, if i had known i would have swapped any boxes that were to be lost under the floor as they were found, with the maintenance free ones to be 'to regulation'.

Of course the joke is that someone doing a periodic inspection isn't going to go ripping up floors so unless someone tells them about the inaccessible junction boxes they will never know there is anything to flag up.

That is very true.

The accessability part of it has been around for a long while now, possibly since 15th ed. (anyone?)

At LEAST since the 14th Ed. of 1966 (I don't have older editions, save for a copy of the first edition (1882!)).

B73:

Where joints in cable conductors and bare conductors are required, they shall be mechanically & electrically sound and, except in cables buried underground and special cables designed for heating, they shall be accessible for inspection. Joints in non-flexible cables shall be made either by soldering or by means of mechanical clamps or compression-type sockets which shall securely retain all the wires of the conductors. Flexible cables and flexible cords shall not be jointed except as provided in Regulation B78.

I have a photocopy which comprises 4 pages of A5, numbered 1-4, beginning with

"SOCIETY OF TELEGRAPH ENGINEERS AND OF ELECTRICIANS"

and ending with

"BY ORDER OF THE COUNCIL. F.H. WEBB, Secretary"

Is that the full document??

For everyone else, the only reference the 1st Ed. makes to joints is this:

10. It is most essential that joints should be electrically and mechanically perfect and united by solder.

That "electrically & mechanically" bit crops up again 84 years later.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back