Part P inspection in regards to IEE 17th, regulation 526.3

Sponsored Links
The one I have a photocopy of is from June 21st 1882, has that regulation that Simon speaks of but is no 13.
Think soldering is referring to the example joint?

That's odd!

My copy has the "committee appointed" date of May 11 1882, but the date at the bottom of page 4 is April 11 1883.

Mine says May 11 1882 on page 1 but June 21st 1882 on page 4.
Maybe corrigendums aren't a new thing afterall :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm inclined to believe the April 11th date.

It may only be 4 pages long, but even so what is the likelihood that a committee could have produced it in only 6 weeks?

9 months OTOH.... ;)

On a periodic, if the inspector sees a lighting arangement where there is no ceiling rose, such as spot lighting or cabinet lighting switched via a wall plate switch and there is no switch wiring arrangement in the switch back box or no choc near/behind the light fitting. then surley he will smell an inaccessible jb?

On a periodic, if the inspector sees a lighting arangement where there is no ceiling rose, such as spot lighting or cabinet lighting switched via a wall plate switch and there is no switch wiring arrangement in the switch back box or no choc near/behind the light fitting. then surley he will smell an inaccessible jb?
He will know there is some kind of junction but if there are no previous records he will not know whether it is a type that can legitimately be inaccessible.

Yes - that is correct :LOL:
Anything that doesn't meet current regs needs to be noted on the PIR. It doesn't matter when it was done and what version of regs it was done to, the PIR is to todays current standard. As another example, there will be a lot of installations done to the 16th which don't comply with the RCD requirements for concealled cables. This needs to be noted on a 17th edition PIR and coded as appropriate - personally I'd go for a 4.

The accessability part of it has been around for a long while now, possibly since 15th ed. (anyone?)

At LEAST since the 14th Ed. of 1966 (I don't have older editions, save for a copy of the first edition (1882!)).

B73:

Where joints in cable conductors and bare conductors are required, they shall be mechanically & electrically sound and, except in cables buried underground and special cables designed for heating, they shall be accessible for inspection. Joints in non-flexible cables shall be made either by soldering or by means of mechanical clamps or compression-type sockets which shall securely retain all the wires of the conductors. Flexible cables and flexible cords shall not be jointed except as provided in Regulation B78.

With this all in mind, this is non applying to the regulations, if the box is to be hidden under say a floor:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits:a1_ring_final_circuit

it could do with a note to say that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back