Part p jobs prior to joining the NICEIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be joining the NIC or possibly napit in the next month or so. However, I have some jobs coming up in the next week that are notifiable. I don't want to pay building control of my local authority a fortune for this as I might as well work for free otherwise.
These jobs I have coming up I can use for my assessment with the NIC but they won't be part p'ed prior to the assessment.
How do I stand with this, is there a way around it until I'm fully registered?

Sponsored Links
I'm going to be joining the NIC or possibly napit in the next month or so. However, I have some jobs coming up in the next week that are notifiable. I don't want to pay building control of my local authority a fortune for this as I might as well work for free otherwise. ... These jobs I have coming up I can use for my assessment with the NIC but they won't be part p'ed prior to the assessment. ... How do I stand with this, is there a way around it until I'm fully registered?
I can't see that there can be a legal and honest 'way around it', can there? - the official truth is that until you are registered with a self-certification scheme, you cannot self-certify, which leaves you either failing to notify notifiable work or paying the LABC fees.

I suppose those less concerned about 'legal and honest' might contemplate delaying self-certification of the works (presumably involving falsification of dates, and other things!) until they were a member of a self-certification scheme but that is hardly something that anyone could advise you to consider!

You could try to find a registered 'Third Party Certifier' (there apparently are now a few) who was sympathetic to your position and was prepared to assist you at not too much cost - but to play that route by the rules you would have to involve/appoint that TPC before you started any of the work.

Kind Regards, John

I'm going to be joining the NIC or possibly napit in the next month or so. However, I have some jobs coming up in the next week that are notifiable. I don't want to pay building control of my local authority a fortune for this as I might as well work for free otherwise.
These jobs I have coming up I can use for my assessment with the NIC but they won't be part p'ed prior to the assessment.
How do I stand with this, is there a way around it until I'm fully registered?
I was in a similar position with my Scheme - I resolved the problem by speaking to the Inspector directly - explaining the job and the approach I was planning to take.
He and the customer were okay with me working the job around the inspection. From the customers perspective he was getting my worked checked and I avoided having
to pay the LABC.
The job was a full rewire - so I arranged the inspection visit after I had installed one ring final circuit and one lighting circuit - during the inspection I tested the circuits and completed the first part of the EIC in his presence which covered most of the points on the inspection.
Although this was a big job any new single circuit could be used. You can only ask - after all it is your money your spending.

I was in a similar position with my Scheme - I resolved the problem by speaking to the Inspector directly - explaining the job and the approach I was planning to take. He and the customer were okay with me working the job around the inspection. From the customers perspective he was getting my worked checked and I avoided having to pay the LABC.
The job was a full rewire ...
I can see that working (with a sufficiently co-operative inspector) when there is a single job. However, the OP seemed to be saying that he has several notifiable jobs scheduled for next week, and I wonder if/how your approach could be applied to that situation?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My experience of the inspection process is that they will accommodate you as best they can. So the OP just picks the first notifiable job - discusses with the customer and the Inspector and moves on from there.
Honestly, I'm sure it will be no big deal - after all lets not forget that the OP is the customer (future customer) of NICEIC.

My experience of the inspection process is that they will accommodate you as best they can. So the OP just picks the first notifiable job - discusses with the customer and the Inspector and moves on from there. Honestly, I'm sure it will be no big deal - after all lets not forget that the OP is the customer (future customer) of NICEIC.
Yes, that makes sense. I'm just a bit confused by the fact that the OP seemed to be saying that he several notifiable jobs 'next week' (which seems a bit tight for 'discussing with customer and inspector'), but that he intends to join NICIEC 'in the next month or so'.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies.
I was wondering if you could back date them after your a member. I'll speak to them Monday..

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you could back date them after your a member. I'll speak to them Monday..
Yes, I presumed that's what you meant and, as riveralt says, it may be possible to do some sort of deal with NICIEC, although 'backdating', per se, might be an issue in terms of the law (which NICIEC obviously can't change). However, it does sound just a bit like asking to be allowed to drive, unsupervised, to one's driving test (which, after all, one might fail!)!.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back