part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to become niced you need to have your 2381 are be on the course and have 6 months of work to show them, but after the new year i wanted to start on my own iand i will have to get niced but what about the 6 months of work in the job i do now its a team i dont do everything so what happens??????

Sponsored Links
to become niced you need to have your 2381

Somebody passed me some info that said that the person wasn't certified ('scuse the expression) but that the company was. That is, the organisation gets the certificate but the employees don't - unlike CORGI.

This means that if you work for an outfit that has a certificate you are OK providing you are doing work for them but you are not OK to do work on your own outside hours. If this is true it only goes to show what a crazy piece of legislation this is.

Sponsored Links
2381 is an exam you sit as an individual.

A "company" cannot sit the 2381 exam. Someone inside the company has to have the 2381 qualification.

The person holding the 2381 qualification is known as a Qualified Supervisor, who must be a full-time principal or employee of the company.

The Qualified Supervisor is there to ensure compliance with BS7671:2001 for that company.

Anyone doing work in a domestic property outside of the company's remit and who does not have 2381 is not deemed to satisfy the requirements for self certification.

If you do "foreigners" then you're not covered by your company's Part P status (t'was ever thus).

So, if I understand it right, once a company has a Qualified Supervisor the people actually doing the install don't have to have done the 2381 exam?

What do people think is the best way for a DIYer to get appropriately 'qualified', without this being their full time job..are ther any alternatives to doing the Electrical Installer route. Most stuff seems geared to new apprentices going into the industry and adult education seems to stop at woodworking. If you are a more mature (alright old) hobbyist, where do you go to improve your knowledge and understanding?

If your really keen I would suggest enrolling on two short term courses.
C&G 2381 (16th edition) which will give you insight to the rules and regs, and concludes with a multiple choice exam.
C&G 2391 (Electrical test and Inspection) which enables you to test your handiwork fully, this finishes with a 2 1/2 hour theory and 3 hour practicle.
Both courses can be done at evening class 2 to 3 hours per week for 12 weeks and both courses are relitively cheap. £60 and £125 respectively.
Good luck

Strictly to self certify you only need 2381. However you do need to be a full time employee of the firm, have £2M Public liability insurance, warrant, examples of work, test kit and the registration fees. Effectively to make it worth while you'd need to turn pro.
Alternatively do the courses for your own enlightenment and keep you diy off the radar.

Also NICEIC are supposed to be running their own courses that are open to all.

thanks...the NICEIC say they have introduced a EALLevel 2Certificate for Domestic ElectricalInstallers that anyone can do (and self certify).Thats not my main objective of course as safety is top of anyone'slist.However,doesnt seem to be anybody doing the course.Seems like alot to doif we havre 220,000 electricianswho need to be certified in next 2 weeks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back