Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that regs are now in place for certain electric work and i like to get hands on do the work myself as there is a sense of achievement when its all installed and working but my question is can i replace an electric shower, run a new cable (which will be difficult) as the existing cable runs off the sockets circuit for some strange reason and when all that is done and the shower is mounted and wired up etc get a qualified electrician to checked the installation and make the final connection in the consumer unit?

Is this acceptable?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It normally work's out cheaper to get a registered electrician in to do whole installation, they should not sign others work off.
But if you are wishing to DIY it
You could notify building controls and they should inspect it at first and second fix, test it and sign it off for you, but a fee is payable and you must notify prior to starting work.

And sometimes even though you pay them a fee they won't do anything for it and expect you to pay again to have an electrician inspect it.

Sponsored Links
Which is not the way it should be done, as they should either inspect & test or arrange for it to be inspected & tested by a third party. Which should be included in your original fee, but it seems some are not playing it by the book.

Magic thanks for your replies, think i will just get a sparks in to do the work from scratch.

Assuming that this fusebox in your other post is what you will be running the new shower from then you will have to install an inline RCD anyway and in actual fact will probably need a new CU anyway as I don't think you are able to run any appliance rated above 30A off this type of fuseboard.

In which case it will definitely be easier (and cheaper) to use a spark instead of notifying to LABC... :cry:

I don't think you are able to run any appliance rated above 30A off this type of fuseboard.

Those Wylex panels with 100A main usually have provision for one fuse over 30A in the position closest to the switch.

I don't think you are able to run any appliance rated above 30A off this type of fuseboard.

Those Wylex panels with 100A main usually have provision for one fuse over 30A in the position closest to the switch.

Apologies - i seem to remember JohnD mentioning something like that only the other day. I thought it was only on boards with the extra way separate to the right of the main switch.. :oops:

And sometimes even though you pay them a fee they won't do anything for it and expect you to pay again to have an electrician inspect it.
Very same thing happened to me; BI inspected drains, insulation & other building stuff but when I ask about the 1st & 2nd fix electrics, didn’t want to know. But your supposed to do it says I :confused: ; just get a BS 7671 says she & I’ll sign it off :rolleyes: . Luckily I am fortunate enough to know someone that is prepared to put his registration on the line & do it (for me anyway) &, after testing, give me the necessary paperwork. You could stick to your guns but run the risk of ****ing off the very BI who ultimately will issue your completion certificate :evil: ! Get someone in to do it from scratch, it’s easier & should not cost an awful lot more.

If your spark agrees, you could do the chasing, and leave the electics to him. May save you some money.

Regards

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back