Part professional, part DIY extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking about having an extension built onto the rear of our house, divided up into half utility area and half an extension of the dining room.

I'm a pretty competent DIYer, but I don't mind admitting that laying footings, knocking a hole in an outside wall etc are well beyond what I ought to be trusting myself with. So I'm wondering if builders are willing to entertain just doing the major structural work (footings, walls, roof), and leave the client to finish off the internals (plastering, wiring [by a qualified friend], flooring, that kind of thing)

Is such a deal likely to save me much anyway? I mean, if the structural stuff is normally 90% of the cost of an extension then I might as well get them to do it all, but if it's more 50 structural / 50 internal then it's more worth my while to do as much as I can myself.

Sorry if it seems like a weird question but I'd like to do as much of it as I can, but know that I'd be well out of my depth with some of it so would rather get that bit done by a pro.

Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Some parts of an extension build are more profitable than others so fragmenting a build as opposed to getting the whole lot done would ultimately work out more costly pro-rata.

However there are many 'brickie' orientated firms out there that will be happy to build the shell and do the knock-through only.

Thanks. That's what I was driving at really. I know from my trade (car bodywork) that you lose a bit in certain stages but get it back in others and wondered if it were the same in this case.

I've knocked up a decent sized garden wall before now (7 pallets of bricks) but an extension and knocking through is quite a different story. Time to get on the phone and get some quotes I guess :)

Agree with above.

We are a brickie oriented firm, and do quite a lot of shell only extensions. I would have thought it was a little more than 50/50, but no where near 90/10 - having said that it depends on the layout inside.

As a firm we quite like doing the shell only stuff, you'll find that the relationship with your builder should stay pretty positive because there can be no lack of communication about finishing details positions of sockets/lights etc.

Just make sure you check your references - ideally you are looking for a firm who regularly do domestic extensions, so that they understand how to work in peoples houses, a gang of site brickies may well have different tolerances!

Sponsored Links
I did a similar extension to my house, but it was an upstairs extension on the side of the house. Builder just did the shell.

I found it very hard work, fitting it in around working full time and dealing with 2 kids and a pregnant wifey at the same time, but can honestly say its was one of the most rewarding things I've done as a DIY'er. My advice is make sure you find yourself a good builders merchant and don't rush anything. Go for it!

Thanks guys (just found the thanks button!)

One of our neighbours has had two complete extensions done by the same guy, one of which was a pretty involved two story affair with a new hip roof, and they were very happy with him. Can't beat personal recommendation so I'll see if he's up for just doing a shell.

I've already knocked up a rough idea of what I want on Sketchup so at least I've got something to show them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back