Partition walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone tell me the recommended size/type of wood for an internal partition wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The size you want 3"X2" sawn at 400mm centers.

The wall should also be insulated against sound with fiber insulation, and covered with 12.5mm Plasterboard.

I find you get a better result if you fix plasterboard with screws, as this fixes the board tighter to the timber than nails and gives a better finish.

Screws are the way to go, I used plasterboard nails with one wall and they just don't feel so secure, plus it is easy to whack it too hard and push it through. I have heard that nails can sometimes pop out too, and means you need to fill the divots where the plaster can fall off.

I used 3x2 planed (a lot nicer to handle than sawn), but the best thing is to see how thick your existing walls are and match that. Bear in mind the plasterboard adds an extra inch to the thickness. Studs are pretty cheap.

I built one without sound insulation and it isn't too bad for sound leakage. To get even better absorption after adding your insulating material, use two layers of plasterboards on each side of the wall. Stagger them.

And finally, before building it really think hard about any cables you will want to run in there. It is very easy to install them whilst building the wall, more difficult to do later on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back