Party Wall Agreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My neighbour is building a single story extension full length of house stops 4 inches from my extension built in 1984 which is on boundary, regrettable but done. Neither of us can maintain property cannot even get in to clean out debris. My foundations are exposed because they are downhill from me.
Spoke to a surveyor today who said I should have had a party wall agreement but it is too late now, It would mean taking out an injunction which is risky.
Answered all his questions about footings and he assured me it will not be a problem.
Spoke to my insurance legal dept. They said I should put them on notice in writing that any damage due to building work ( subject to a surveyor report) will be claimed for and keeping it on file.
Why is this not compulsory and the onus on neighbour to ask or insist. I wasn't switched on...on a steep learning curve now.
They don't have rear access and have asked me if they can bring massive bifold door via my property. They cannot proceed without the bifold because they are knocking through and will be exposed.
Anyone had similar experience please share.

PS. Thinking I may not have made myself clear when speaking to surveyor, and still not sure what constitutes a party wall.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you Woody
Had a visit from a PWA surveyor today. Confirmed Section 6 of PWA applies. No damage from original excavation yet but I have structural garden wall to protect also and my exposed foundation protected. They will get a report tomorrow. I may sleep better tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back