Party wall dispute with neighbor - what are my rights here

Lets forget the wall business, the drainage issue is a biggie for me

Im guessing its a biggie to you, because its the only lever you against your neighbour.

Clearly its a lash up at the moment, but your neighbours have a downpipe not too far from the fence, it wouldnt be that awkward to replace the gutter with downpipe and route to connect with existing downpipe or go into a gully and connect below ground.

I hope you get the issues sorted soon......just avoid getting bogged down with PW surveyors

Sponsored Links
Happy for the neighbour to do this.
At least I can then move on, as it stands one day they tell me one thing, in 2 days they say something else.
I am staying far away from PW surveyors, and probably the trap they are trying to set for me by asking me to put my offer of raising the wall in writing, then they will pass it onto surveyors.

Im guessing its a biggie to you, because its the only lever you against your neighbour.

Clearly its a lash up at the moment, but your neighbours have a downpipe not too far from the fence, it wouldnt be that awkward to replace the gutter with downpipe and route to connect with existing downpipe or go into a gully and connect below ground.

I hope you get the issues sorted soon......just avoid getting bogged down with PW surveyors

My neighbour and I share a central downpipe whereby all of her water drains onto my land and into a soakaway that I built.

Ho hum.

Do you mean like this ?

20190503_182806.jpg

My neighbour and I share a central downpipe whereby all of her water drains onto my land and into a soakaway that I built.

Ho hum.

Sponsored Links
What is anybody supposed to be commenting on , this isn't any form of accepted building construction, it is all just a cock up :!:

It really is.
This is the source of my frustration, my proposal will do the following.

Stop this dodgy guttering and make it redundant
Remove this hazard, I cant have that with young kids about.
New roof for myself & my neighbour all at my cost
Inconvinience my neighbout for 3-5 days whilst their roof is being relaid (correctly) and FREE

I am sure if the gutter was on thier side, they would be very keen to sort it out.

What is anybody supposed to be commenting on , this isn't any form of accepted building construction, it is all just a cock up :!:

Whilst this is nothing about pride or coming across as being right.
I dont want to approach my neighbour again about this matter, because it would now make me look so desperate and makes me come across as one of those people who visit the elderly to ge tthem to sign a document etc.

Neighbour signed a party wall agreement with me, and whispered to me that had he known, he would not have done so.

Everything I have done has been done in good faith.

I would have though EH as well. No harm in ringing both of them to seek their advice. You have my sympathy in your struggle to sort the situation out.

Fixing the drainage is the thing you should discuss with the neighbour. As to the rest, I agree with those who have suggested you're taking the p155. You can't design a development around redesigning your neighbour's garage roof.

drainage is key, i must have been misunderstood, i am happy to build my wall. its just that i have been told raising the wall is the only sulution to the drainage issue, so we are sayign thesame thing, just different routes.

Fixing the drainage is the thing you should discuss with the neighbour. As to the rest, I agree with those who have suggested you're taking the p155. You can't design a development around redesigning your neighbour's garage roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back