Party Wall problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour carried out a rear and loft extension recently and I appointed the agreed party wall surveyor at the time. IUnfortunately, my wife seems to have thrown out the paperwork so can't remember which surveyor it is although the surveyor did visit my property prior and take pictures inside and out. We live in a terraced house and the problem is that paintwork on my property has been badly damaged when my neighbour had the front of his house rendered during as part of the renovation. Splashes of plaster went onto my paintwork and when the builders scrapped it off my paint came off with the plaster so the front of my house looks ugly with missing paint spots from floor to roof.

My first question is does the parity wall surveyor come back and inspect my property as standard or do I have to instruct him to come back? Secondly, would my neighbour be responsible for painting the entirity of the front of my property? If the damaged areas are only painted, then the front of my house is going to look patchy as the new paint will not match the old paint. Also where the paint has come off, in some cases its taken a few mm of paint and plaster with it. Can anyone please advise? Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the interests of neighbourly relations, can't you paint it yourself and forget the costs?

It's a 3 story house so while I could reach the botoom floor with a ladder I suppose, I would need scaffolding etc for the top 2 floors which i assume would be pretty expensive. I havent had any benefit from my neighbours extension, I would just like my house to be resorted to the position it was prior.

You'd probably have to ask the surveyor to return. Talk to the neighbour about it first though.

Sponsored Links
As above, you'd probably have to ask the surveyor to come back. But he will probably charge ££££s for the pleasure, which would ultimately presumably be an additional cost to the neighbour.

Why not cut out the middleman, tell the neighbour you're not happy, and ask them to pay towards the cost of re-painting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back