Paslode IM65 or IM350 for feather edge fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Shortly, I have to erect about 800 ft of feather edging, 6ft high - so im getting a nail gun to do this, becuase however much i love hitting things with hammers, i want to finish this job in a cupple of weekends and with all my fingers in working order.

So which gun would be more suitable, the paslode IM65 or Im350? Im going to get a paslode, just not sure which one. The cost is justified, the guy im doing the fence for is paying for half the cost of the gun, and i get to keep it when finished!

Sponsored Links
When I Redid all the fencing in my garden, i got the (i think it was) the 350- the 1st fix framing nailer. It fires proper nails, rather than the smaller brads.

Consider hiring one though, as they cost quite a bit. I bought mine, thinking it'd be an 'investment', but i've only used it a hand full of times since :(

They come up on Fleabay alot as well, so might be worth looking there for a 2nd hand one.

bert - the IM65 is a brad nailer therefore not suitable for fence work, so if you really want a Paslode then it's the 350 for you. Obviously, use galzanised nails. Bear in mind that these jobbies weigh-in at over 3kg so prepare wrist ache. Have you considered a air coil nailer and compressor combination, this is what we use for any fencing that we do. Once you've got the compressor just add various nailers & staplers over time to make-up a comprehensive kit. A coil nailer is also lighter and cheaper to run than a Paslode.

the problem with the im350 is the minimum length of nail is 50mm. so unless you are absolutley spot on with it you will easily go through the arris rail at the back. we use a coil nailer for all our fencing. very quick and a lot less tiring as you simply keep your finger on the fire button and bump to fire it. Paslode will quite easily shoot straight through the feather edge and split it. its also a pain having to reload it very frequently.

Sponsored Links
OK, so now im thinking that air would be a better choice, since i really could do with 40mm nails rather than 50mm that the paslodes use - the feather are going onto 2" studs.

So the question changes...

What air nailer do you use? I looked on toolstation, the dewalt ones look nice, the framing nailer is a 50mm minimum again, what about the dewalt finishing nailers, are they suitable?

it needs to fire these, which are galvaised ring shank nails, with a decent head, rather than finishing brads as they will simply rust through or not hold the boards in place

http://www.betcofasteners.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=15_354&products_id=1251

I use a decent coil nailer to do the work, but to be honest if you are using it for a one off job its not worth buying it. I use mine all the time for external work, such as making furniture, sheds, pegolas etc as well as fencing. Ive no real thoughts on the make, mine came from trade tools, but they dont do them over here any more. The other thing to consider is the compressor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back