Passat electrical weirdness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, wondered if anyone had any ideas about the weird electrics in my '91 passat estate.

Here's the situation:

no dash board lights at all.

when indicator stalk left on with engine stopped, headlights off, indicator is on permanent (ie. not flashing)

green light on light switch only illuminates when in side light position, not in headlight position

no fuses blown.

obviously something has been wired up wrong, but any ideas what?

(it was like this when I bought it)

thanks!

Sponsored Links
really? the headlights do appear incredibly dim on dipped beam. but how would that explain the lack of dashboard lights (unless the bulb was gone I guess)

i forgot to mention that the heater blower doesn't work either . . .

thanks!

Sponsored Links
After checking the bulbs are correct and in the right way. Check/remove and clean all earth to body straps (you will get this info from Haynes Manual). Next check the wiring harnesses for rubbing and chaffing. It could also be that you have more than one fault, check them out one at a time starting with the blower, check the fuse then check for power at the motor. With regard to the lights, I think you have an earthing or shorting problem.

;)

great - thanks for advice. will get me a multimeter this weekend and give it a go.

cheers

Check behind the fusebox for corrosion too. The old golfs are known for letting in water through the bulkhead grommets and corroding the fusebox, which is the same on the passat.

There should also be an earth strap running from the rocker cover to the coil sort of area, check thats still attached as this will cause dash problems

thanks for ideas - i had a quick look and the earth strap from the rocker cover looks fine - I need to get the specs for the bulbs to check them - but how do I check behind the fuse box?

cheers

On the side of the fusebox there should be a white plastic clip which holds it on, just flip the clip back and the fusebox will wiggle out.

If you need a diagram go to www.vagcat.com and you'll see how it all goes together. Need to register (free) but it's the complete parts catalogue with diagrams for all VW, Audi and Seat cars :cool:

thats great - thanks - one of those little things Mr Haynes forgot to mention . .

cheers

fingers crossed for some corrosion there and an easy fix . . . :)

It appears to be the same fusebox as from a post 1990 model Mk2 golf too, so they come up on ebay for £10-£15 all the time

Sponsored Links
Back