VW Passat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got a beloved old G plate VW passat estate. Great old car bless her socks.

Developed a problem with the hydrolic clutch. It sticks at the bottom ie at full depression, it also travels down there of its own accord!

I have to then pull it back up and its works, until another two gear changes when its back down there!

Any ideas? Gotta be somethin to do with the hydrolics cuz it dissengages the engine and re-engages fine.

Thanks

Paul.

Sponsored Links
usually is the clutch slave cylinder on the vw's. mounted on top of the gearbox (depending on th box). dead easy to change and bleed. remove it from the 'box, 2 bolts if I remember right, and have a look at the rubber seal round the operating rod, usually fluid going everywhere. you can get a new one from www.eurocarparts.co.uk. wouldn't bother with scrappy parts. on a more concerning note, if I remember right the brake and clutch fluid come from a combined reservoir. if the fluid level gets too low you could draw air into the brake circuit resulting in no brakes!! alternatively it could be a cable clutch (not seen many passats with cable). if it is just ignore all i said :LOL:

Hey thanks for the reply Davieboy, much appreciated!

The first thing I checked was the fluid level because it is combined with the brake fluid! The level was good just below max so I'm assuming that its either the master or slave cylinder.

I took it to a garage and he thought it might be the master but he did say he hadn't seen a clutch do that before :eek:

Are you very sure its the slave unit? I think I'm going to tackle it myself so I need to know which to buy. Is it prob best to take the slave apart and av a look.

Thanks again Davieboy.

Hi

Can anybody tell me how a hydrolic clutch works with the master and slave cylinders?? So I can try and work out whats going on?

Thanks

Paul.

Sponsored Links
HI The system is made up of two main parts,1) The master cylinder which is connected to the clutch pedal and is fix at the bulk head, now this is basically a pump which with the help of rubber seals and when the pedal is pressed forces the fluid down the hose line.2) The slave cylinder which pushes the release arm in the gear box and which is fixed either on the outside of the gear box or inside the gear box,"I think in your case it will be bolted on the outside", is basically a jack. When the pedal is pressed the fluid is forced down the hose lines and again with the help of seals inside pushes the rod out which in turn pushes the release arm enabling you to change gear. Now if your having problems with the pedal sticking on the floor i would imagine you will have a leak on either the master or slave cylinder, first check underneath the pedal for sighns of fluid leaking,if not check the engine compartment bulk head for the same sighns.If still no leaks found proceed to the slave cylinder and basically do the same. I would be very surprised if you dont find a leak of some sort but if you think there is no lek try bleeding the system again. If you need any more help let me know,jim.

Thanks skippster,

I had a quick look but couldnt see anything leaking and the reservoir is not low.

I'll let you know how I fix it.

Thanks for the explanation you've been very helpful I appreciate your reply.

Paul

in my experience vw clutch leaks are usually into the gearbox bell housing, hence no visible leaks. only way to know for sure is to remove the cylinder, a pretty easy job.

Hi guys

It was the master cylinder. Changed it, cost 90 quid! Dam german parts!

At least its fixed now and the old work horse can carry on! 139000 miles and still going good!

Thanks for your help Davie and skippster much appreciated.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Back