PAT Tester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not strictly a DIY-related question, I realise, but seeing as so many Fonts of Knowledge congregate here, I figured someone would have some answers for me!
Anyway:

1. I have a Metrotest MPAT60 and want to know if anyone is aware of the whereabouts of Metrotest Instruments? Did they get swallowed up by one of the other big manufacturers? There appears to be a firm with the same name in New Zealand, but it looks like they have simply purchased the name and deal in all manner of test equipment, rather than being the manufacturers of the tester I own.

2. This tester has the facility of downloading results onto a pc. Now, rather than trying to track down and purchase software from a company that may well be defunct, is there a generic software package that will allow me to dump the results? Preferably free, of course!!!!

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I think you will find they are part of the megger group, but in the mean time, the interface is an Rs232 (although with a non-standard connector on some models) and it should be possible to use a terminal program to read the results - I dont have the command set though, I'm not sure if it is proprietery.
regards M.

Metrotest was one of City Electrical Factors own companies. I am familiar with the MPAT 60 the nice yellow boxed one. If you are after calibration they still have the MTI callibration company 01913783990

Just noticed its the software your after, try mTI as the number i gave you if your struggling I would suggest trying to contact a Pat testing company as this model was extremely popular. Where are you based i may be able to help you

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, apparently I should be able to dump the results onto my PC via Hyperterminal, as mapj1 says. A mate has done this with his, set up a Word Macro and just transfers the info over to results sheets he did. Simple. So he says!

At the risk of appearing to be cheeky, assuming your "friend" has cracked the protocol, is there any chance of persuading him to give a it a wider audience - a general opening up of proprietry instrument comms standards might help others in a similar predicament, with mute instruments no longer supported.

regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back