Patching in floorboards - reclaimed or new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some boards in a 1920s house - most likely still has the original boards. Planning to sand the boards and stain quite dark (Dark Oak/Tudor Oak/Jacobean Oak)

A builder I asked confidently told me some brand new boards would be fine if I rub a bit of tea on them and then stain the lot together

Is he right? Or do I need to get reclaimed boards?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
reclaimed boards would be better but their not cheap any more it used to be second hand timber now your buying a piece of history ,watch out for wormy boards you could import a problem, if you end up getting new boards a good way to age the boards is thrash them with a rusty chain to get a good ageing effect with random marks ,Iv'e done it on a few ageing projects. I don't know about the tea bags?

If you are going as dark as that then most timber will stain in a similar fashion, to age new boards you can give them a bash as suggested, run over quickly with a wire drill brush [removes some grain lines] and sand edges on boards, as new boards have clean cut edges.

have you got a "smaller "room like a toilet cupboard or under stairs are where you can rob the boards and use them where you want and use new and "tea bag/stain " all the same rather than risk a blotchy uneven colour/finnish

Sponsored Links
... or nick them from a bedroom and put the new stuff there ... usually bedrooms are carpeted so you won't see the new.

Thanks all

I nicked them from a room upstairs as suggested... A good idea!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back