Staining old and new floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to stain some old 1930s pine floorboards but I need to replace about 5 first. Do you know if the stain on new boards is likely to match the old boards or will it be noticeably different? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
unless the start colour is identical the finish colour will be different
if you stain the new board to match first' after about 2 or so years when the natural process tones the boards down to the natural antique pine colour they will be perhaps 50-80% darker

in other words untouched untreated pine exposed to light will after a couple of year or so will turn to an antique pine colour

Hi

I want to stain some old 1930s pine floorboards but I need to replace about 5 first. Do you know if the stain on new boards is likely to match the old boards or will it be noticeably different? Thanks.

Can you either find some reclaimed floorboards, or remove some from elsewhere in the house where they unlikely to be seen, and use them?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for your replies. I've called a couple of reclamation places and the have stock of the same size, but to be on the safe side I will do as suggested and take them up from a room that will always have carpet down and put the replacement ones in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back