Patching plastic so it is watertight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have had to drill some holes in the heat exchanger of my dishwasher in order to clean out some accumulated grease. See link:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/siemens-dishwasher-e23-error.597315/post-5310232

My problem is now to seal the holes. I'm thinking to cut some squares of plastic and affix them with Araldite or some other epoxy adhesive. Can anyone advise me on the best way to go about this or suggest a better solution?

All solutions considered.
Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
What is the maximum temperature the heat exchanger has to tolerate?

Thanks FM's twin. I was thinking to use a square flat bit of plastic cut from the lid of a washing tabs box fixing it to the HE with araldite. Do you think I should source a sheet of fibreglass instead? What should I use to fix it then if not araldite?

Thanks Alec. Not sure what max temp would be. Is there some high temp stuff I could use?

How about JB weld?

Sponsored Links
Ive got this stuff in the shed. Says OK up to 180 degrees, warerproof and good for plastics.

Attachments

• 20220924_132550.jpg
    20220924_132550.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 23
Mmm, l like your lateral thinking Nozzle.

Trouble is I don't want to obscure the water/air/fat pathway. If I could get some threaded plugs with a thread 5mm wide and no more than 2 or 3 mm deep that may work

Mmm, l like your lateral thinking Nozzle.

Trouble is I don't want to obscure the water/air/fat pathway. If I could get some threaded plugs with a thread 5mm wide and no more than 2 or 3 mm deep that may work
You just cut down the fitting so it's the correct length (depth)

Nozzle

Yes that's the fella, pretty easy to use. It's 100% waterproof and should bond well with plastic. Just cut out a bit of the sheet just bigger than the holes and paint over it with the resin, repeat until there's a few layers.

HB, can you suggest a suitable adhesive?
I'm not sure what the original plastic is. How would I find out?

Any plastic welding adhesive, which is designed for the particular type of plastic, will at first dissolve the surface of the plastic, until it has evaporated. Best way to test it, is on a corner of the plastic where it will do no harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back