Patchy walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes.
My walls were emulsioned (bright yellow by previous occupant)
I have put on two coats of cheap white emulsion to give a base for new colour. After two coats of the colour (B&Q own make, vinyl matt emulsion) the walls look patchy. There are ovelaps of darker shades and other diferent densities of colour, and brush marks.

I have found it difficult to spread the paint evenly, have tried thick and thin brushes and tried adding water to the paint. I have found it difficult in maintaining a wet edge painting about a 30 inch strip top to bottom. By the time I return to the top the edge is dry. I'm using a 3 in. brush. Didn't fancy a roller because of the mess.

1) will a third or fourth coat solve this problem
2) should I use a bigger/better brush
3) or a roller
4) buy better quality paint.
5) paper walls first then repaint.

Please help this is my least important room (entrance hall/passage) and I need to know what I'm doing wrong before I start on the other rooms.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi - Use a roller for the main areas and a brush to get a neat finish at the edges.

Instead of a 30" stripe, halve it then you'll be back up there in half the time, anyway, that's not needed to paint emulsion, get a better quality paint while your at it, the cheap stuff isn't always the cheapest as youv'e discovered, you now may need to spend more money.

Are Crown and Dulux better paints? and will the quality of the roller make a difference.

Sponsored Links
For a quality paint I recommend Little Greene Paint Company, sounds poncy I know but their paint is superb and extremely opaque, so it more than repays the extra cost as you only need 2 coats of this to 3 or 4 of a mass-market paint.

Google will find it for you.

Now that the lighter colour is on I've realised how badly scarred the walls are, so I@M going to repair them line them and start the painting again. Sooo I now have the following questions:

Will finish plaster do for filling in small gouges and hollows?

Should I size these freshly painted walls before lining?

What grade lining paper?

Will the lining paper cover any of the imperfections?

Can I expect a good paint to cover the lining paper in two coats?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back