Patent for new idea on existing tool

I came up with an idea couple of decades ago for a colleague at work plagued by cats and birds having his koi away.

knocked up with a few parts from the stores, he said it was a great success, years later i saw my idea in a magazine selling for thirty quid
never saw the guy again. :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
If it is a complete revamp /improvement etc, would the original patent apply, i thought the way a lot of companies get round patents is to incorporate changes into the design, not sure how different your design would need to be, might be worth investigating

I don't think any of us would have adapted the tool that the OP is talking about or will even have the slightest inkling as to how to adapt it.
Were not that clever.

The best ideas are always the simple ones.
Have a look at the video and you will see agricultural bales being wrapped....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnvHKOvwCvI&feature=related
One problem farmers face is removing this wrapping prior to feeding the silage to their live stock.
It involves the farmer lifting the bale with his loader and then having to get off his tractor armed with a knife to slit the wrapping and pull it off manually. It's not a nice job.

Can any of you think of a method to remove the wrapping without the farmer leaving his driving seat?
One company has (fully patented) and its very simple and involves the adaption of another piece of farm machinery developed about 25 years ago.

I don't think any of us would have adapted the tool that the OP is talking about or will even have the slightest inkling as to how to adapt it.
Were not that clever.

One problem farmers face is removing this wrapping prior to feeding the silage to their live stock.
It involves the farmer lifting the bale with his loader and then having to get off his tractor armed with a knife to slit the wrapping and pull it off manually. It's not a nice job.

Can any of you think of a method to remove the wrapping without the farmer leaving his driving seat?
One company has (fully patented) and its very simple and involves the adaption of another piece of farm machinery developed about 25 years ago.

Probably something like the old shear grabs for silage

Sponsored Links
Were not that clever.

Norcon, I am not that clever.....but this tool has been designed and tested and rolled out by this firm from a idea,then they move onto the next product but as I am using this everyday I know the tool better than anybody.........and to be quite honest it is a simple idea ;) ;)

Conny, you are right it is staying very close to my chest...if I say what tool it is all you guys will get it next week and go over it with a microscope and if the penny drops you may get ahead of me
I am not sure what way to go about this but I think next week I will contact the designer and try to get a agreement but they are going to ask to see the product first....catch 22
Lets just say I agree a price of 10k from my idea....then its a massive hit and I will be a big loser

You should photograph it make details of it, make variations of it, and then put it in envelopes well sealed and then post it to yoursell. Do not open the envelopes. Then if somebody copies your designs i.e. the people you show it too for appraisal and then sell its bingo, you slap a patent on it. They will'nt get one because you invented it before them. Having the all important proof is the answer and costs you nothing. This idea of yours may even now been used somewhere else. I am only guessing but this may work for other countries as well, so cover your bases if its that good. Good luck :LOL:

Agree with wreckedit but rather than post the photos to yourself send them for safe keeping to a solicitor.
He may charge a small fee but if it takes off the rewards will outweigh this.

Good luck.

I have sent a email to innovate advisor Alister from that link explaining that is a adaption to a existing product although without details and will wait until he gets back to me......meanwhile I will draw up a sketch and photograph and write up the pro,s of it ( dont know if any con,s yet) I will take advice from him and as soon as the idea is classed as mine with rights I will let you guys know but this sort of thing will probably take years

I came up with an idea couple of decades ago for a colleague at work plagued by cats and birds having his koi away.

knocked up with a few parts from the stores, he said it was a great success, years later i saw my idea in a magazine selling for thirty quid
never saw the guy again. :evil: :evil:
So it scared him away as well?! Crickey it must be scary!

Sponsored Links
Back