ideas/inventions

I

imamartian

I have a number of things buzzing round my head of late.... not necessarily the sort of thing you can patent, so i was wondering how to go about registering my ideas whilst protecting my interest enough to make some cash..

For instance i have a new food idea.... lets pretend it was a new flavour of crisps... should i approach walkers, then smiths etc and just email my idea?

also i have a mathematical theory i think i could prove, plus i want to change science in a particular way....

I know that sounds a bit strange but it's difficult to describe without giving it away.

What i'm after i guess is a way of protecting my ideas before i reveal them.....

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You just reminded me of a film "Flash Of Genius" as my partner says "its a film about window wipers" not quite its a true story about the invention of the intermitant window wiper and how FORDS stole the idea from the guy who invented it

Awesome film

Sorry on-topic, no idea. If you have an invention patent it if you dont then get an idea to patent, if its a concept then you can still patent a concept

When your a millionaire you can buy every member a DIYnot T-shirt

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't believe anyone has ever made money out of a mathematical theory (it's theorem by the way) so you might as well spill the beans on that one. If it turns out your a mathematical genius you'll get a good job out of it.

What particular way do you want to change science? Is it the scientific method of experimentation and peer review you object too?

You just reminded me of a film "Flash Of Genius" as my partner says "its a film about window wipers" not quite its a true story about the invention of the intermitant window wiper and how FORDS stole the idea from the guy who invented it

Awesome film

Sorry on-topic, no idea. If you have an invention patent it if you dont then get an idea to patent, if its a concept then you can still patent a concept

When your a millionaire you can buy every member a DIYnot T-shirt

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
lol can i choose the slogan on the t-shirt?!!!! lol..

anyway... can i patent everything? is it easy, is it costly?

I don't believe anyone has ever made money out of a mathematical theory (it's theorem by the way) so you might as well spill the beans on that one. If it turns out your a mathematical genius you'll get a good job out of it.

What particular way do you want to change science? Is it the scientific method of experimentation and peer review you object too?

I know... a theorem becomes a proof... silly me!! i have spoken to eminent mathematical professors.... one of which tolerated me for about 4 emails, but not being a methematician, i don't know how to formulate a proof!!! Where's dex when you want him?

you are unbelievable.... i haven't said i object to anything.....

maybe i've got an idea that suggests that green isn't a mix of yellow and blue, but it;s a mix of red, ingigo and tartan...

i just want to challenge the accepted.

You said that you wanted to change science. Any reasonable person would ask, what is it you don't like about it? There's no such colour as tartan. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

imamartian said:
can i patent everything?

Decades ago, I built a voltmeter around a bargraph generator chip (LM3914 I think) and eight LEDs of different colours. :idea: :idea: :idea: A small-time money grubber was very impressed and started talking patents so I looked into it myself.

You can patent anything that's (a) new, (b) not obvious and (c) not published. That last one turned out to be crucial. I searched the electronic projects index at the library (no internet in those days) and there, in an obscure magazine called Electronics and Melody Maker, was a very similar circuit. :( :( :( Upon learning this the money grubber lost all interest.

is it easy

No.

is it costly?

Yes.

There is one exception; you don't have to patent software because it's automatically protected by copyright. :D :D :D This might also extend to the code in programmable logic arrays.

lets pretend it was a new flavour of crisps... should i approach walkers, then smiths etc and just email my idea?

So, for the sake of argument, you managed to make radish and anchovy flavoured crisps. (Don't ask, you really don't want to know. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ). I would send a sample to each but don't give them the recipe. If neither offers you any money, publish it.

also i have a mathematical theory i think i could prove

If you really can prove it and it's new, send it to a mathematical journal. Sooey is right; you won't make any money out of it but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you contributed to the pool of knowledge. :cool: :cool: :cool: (The same goes for physics, though in this case you should back up your theory with experimental evidence.)

Edit:

but not being a methematician

In that case you'll be way out of your depth. Stick to flavoured crisps. :) :) :)

imamartian said:
can i patent everything?

Decades ago, I built a voltmeter around a bargraph generator chip (LM3914 I think) and eight LEDs of different colours. :idea: :idea: :idea: A small-time money grubber was very impressed and started talking patents so I looked into it myself.

You can patent anything that's (a) new, (b) not obvious and (c) not published. That last one turned out to be crucial. I searched the electronic projects index at the library (no internet in those days) and there, in an obscure magazine called Electronics and Melody Maker, was a very similar circuit. :( :( :( Upon learning this the money grubber lost all interest.

is it easy

No.

is it costly?

Yes.

There is one exception; you don't have to patent software because it's automatically protected by copyright. :D :D :D This might also extend to the code in programmable logic arrays.

lets pretend it was a new flavour of crisps... should i approach walkers, then smiths etc and just email my idea?

So, for the sake of argument, you managed to make radish and anchovy flavoured crisps. (Don't ask, you really don't want to know. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ). I would send a sample to each but don't give them the recipe. If neither offers you any money, publish it.

also i have a mathematical theory i think i could prove

If you really can prove it and it's new, send it to a mathematical journal. Sooey is right; you won't make any money out of it but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you contributed to the pool of knowledge. :cool: :cool: :cool: (The same goes for physics, though in this case you should back up your theory with experimental evidence.)

thank you so much for a sensible answer.

ok, scrub the idea of a new crisp flavour.... but the idea of putting a bag of salt in.... how would that work?

Let's hear your new theorem then....have you managed to work out the thirteen times table or what? :LOL:

Let's hear your new theorem then....have you managed to work out the thirteen times table or what? :LOL:

lets try this ignore thing.... ask me again what my invention is,,,, while i put you on ignore ! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back