Patent for new idea on existing tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a certain tool in work for a number of years and after some thought I know how to modify it and make it better ..if this was a new idea for a new tool I would go ahead and patent it before anything else but my problem is that it has already been designed and used everyday and this is a modification to it...I dont want to go to the manufacturer as they may steal my idea and I get no gains out of it...can I patent the idea to a additional patented tool ??.
Also I would need a small engineering firm to modify it so how would I protect my idea so they dont use it??

Sponsored Links
i would say probably not unless its free standing and can clip over/easily attach to

as you shure the item is still within patent [25 years i think]!!

having said that if you buy an item you can do what you wish with it
so perhaps you could buy the the item modify it and sell as modified second hand unused!!! :D :cry:

I made an oil filter wrench a while back. i had a friend that worked for facom tools, he said he would find out if they were interested in it, they are now selling it. not seen him since

ShowImage.aspx

Sponsored Links
It is not a clip or attachment its a modification a total revamp of the tool ..it will do the same job but I estimate 3 times better/faster and it is used all over europe as far as I know and maybe all over the world!!! anyhow I dont want to reveal it to anybody unless I have some type of rights to to it....I may contact the manufacturer and try to agree some type of contract before I reveal all.......... I bet alot of you guys use one everyday check your tools monday :D :D :D :D

As the yanks say "go figure"

You're being very coy. Come on, give us a clue as to what you've doen to improve that, erm :oops: , special vacuum device? ;)

You're being very coy. Come on, give us a clue as to what you've doen to improve that, erm :oops: , special vacuum device? ;)

Dexy baby, I have to be coy as it could be worth a few bob...and I am keeping it close to my chest until funds agrred,,.after using it the other day I had one of them eureka moments .....it may have already been looked at by the manufacturer and they have not gone ahead with it...but as a person using this on a daily basis my modefication would be a great improvement...depending what type of job you are in you may have used it also but some guys on here will certainly use it everyday....and errrrrm its nothing to do with a vaccum device :eek: :eek: .....you would not get asked that on dragons den :eek: :eek:

Johnboy, it's not everyday one gets to "meet" someone who invents something new (or a variation of something existing). I genuinely hope you get this sorted and that it works out for you.

Johnboy if its an existing tool that tradesmen might be using on a day to day basis that you're modifying then why not state what tool it is?

Thats hardly giving you're secret away.
Looking forward to seeing you on Dragons Den btw. ;)

Johnboy if its an existing tool that tradesmen might be using on a day to day basis that you're modifying then why not state what tool it is?

Thats hardly giving you're secret away.
Looking forward to seeing you on Dragons Den btw. ;)
I agree with Norcon. Tell us the 'original' tool is hardly 'giving away' your secret John.

Unless those of us who may use this tool on a daily basis have already adapted it ourselves but not realised the potential.
By telling us which tool it is we may 'suss out' what it is he has done to it and jump in ahead of him.

Keep stumf for now John but good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Actually, this has reminded me of a chap down the road from me who has 'modified' a snooker cue for training youngsters, he took out a patent and it is now in full production and selling well so maybe you could do something similar.

johnny, ive looked into patenting a few ideas ive had, never got around to it and i really should. The most important thing they tell you is Not to discuss it with anyone. you even have to sign the form to that extent.

Sponsored Links
Back