Patio cock up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last weekend I finished laying my patio and had followed various online tips & tricks. This week I have reviewed the 45 large paving stones to find that 9 of them are slighly wobbly. I think I may have been 2 x stingy with the cement as I started at 6 to 1 sharp sand to cement but then moved to 4:1 after I had my doubts (and for the area of the patio that has the most traffic) I did use a rubber mallet with a spirit level and so I am bit disappointed now. :cry:

Anyway what is the best way to put these stones down again as I now have the cement base to chip away at. the wobble on the stones was marginal so I wondering if I should have just put cement round the sides but I guess that is bit naff

cheers

Adam

Sponsored Links
Sharp sand alone with cement doesn't give much grip to the slabs - you need some soft/building sand in the mix for pliability.
The mix I use for laying slabs is 3 sharp: 2 soft: 1 cement and seems to work well.

if the bed is good and full contact with the slab and notched bed of tile cement will soon grip it down again.

As mister helpful says of often sharp sand and cement alone does not grab however this is not your problem if they are rocking. The slab was either not consolidated enough or you or someone else walked on therm too soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back