patio door and window height - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

currently in the middle of a rear extension. Due to 1st floor positioning of the windows, the plan was always to have a low-pitch roof extension with an internal ceiling height of 248cm and a pitched section coming to 2.11cm.

Builder today discovers that the architects drawing are off by 100mm - after a long day of discussions between myself/builder/architects the only possible compromise was to drop the front by two courses to achieve the desired 15degree pitch.

This now leaves me with a shallower door (192cm) and kitchen sink window (93cm). Both are 1.8m wide.

Do you think these lower heights would be extremely noticeable? I'm now opting for slimline aluminium window/door frames to counteract the loss of height.

Obviously both the architect and the builder are partly to blame as one got one measurement wrong and the latter didn't check before starting work.

Any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Wtf? Who has a door 1.92m high? Of course you will notice a door 180mm lower than normal - every time you bang you head on it mainly.

Alter the roof pitch

Forticrete centurion (double roman) can do a lower pitch than that.

So can a flat roof!

Because of the 15degree pitch required for the velux windows.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the plans or the context of the building I'd dump the velux and go with a flat roof with flat rooflights and keep the window and door heights.

Do you have any pictures?

img1.png

img2.png

I suggest you have a crap architect. Fakro do rooflights that go down to 10° with a flashing kit.

Besides the obvious above mentioned cock-up, why the specific comment about architect after I've shown parts of the plan?

Besides the obvious above mentioned cock-up, why the specific comment about architect after I've shown parts of the plan?

Because your architect should know that you can alter the roof pitch, and still have a rooflights, and that altering the door is just a plain stupid suggestion and not the only option.

Also, why are you having that horizontal ceiling when a ceiling at rafter level would look much better?

And pick the eaves up to have a proper distance to the ceiling above the frame internally. That looks cramped.

Last edited:
I've slept on it and agree that this is stupid being I'm the one who'll end up facing this daily. Will stop any further roofing work until an alternative plan of action is found.

Zinc standing seam, is a really nice flat roof material IMO that you had maybe not considered. And the price is not too bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back