patio fall

M

marsaday

can anyone help me out with the falls ratios.

i have a patio which is going to slope from the house to the grass in one direction only. the distance from the house to the grass edge is 6m. what fall do i need ? currently i have done it to allow a 2cm fall.

is this enough. not sure what 1;40 actually means. is this 1cm for every 40 cm ?? i am stumped a bit and i think i have not made a big enough fall.

Sponsored Links
The fall you describe is 1 in 300.
6mts = 6000mm and 2cms = 20mm, so 6000 divided by 20 = 300. ie. for every 300mm the fall is 1mm.

I think thats a bit shallow, I'd go for 1 in 150, so over 6000mm that would be a fall of 40mm.

And you really need a drain to take the water away.

if i dig a channel into the grass and fill it with gravel, will this be enough to drain the water away?

what will happen if i do a patio with a shallow fall like this ?

the spirit bubble will be at the back of the line and so it will be draining ok.

Your channel idea sounds ok.

A 1 in 300 fall will drain, the main problem would the difficulty in maintaining the fall whilst laying the patio. But if you're very careful and use slabs with a complaetely flat surface it should be ok.

Sponsored Links
if i dig a channel into the grass and fill it with gravel, will this be enough to drain the water away?

It may last a couple of seasons. Maybe.

It will depend upon your sub-soil drainage. A foot deep channel of gravel will clog up after a couple of years.

A well built soak-away can last in excess of 25 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back