Patio laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me an easy DIY lesson in laying a decent patio....

I know you need a hardcore base, do you then need sand to lay on top?

Whats the best stuff to use to lay the slabs? I had slab fix and it was ok.

Other suggestions have been to use something life slab fix under the slabs laving a 5mm gap between slabs and then burshing dry mix in between the slabs and then watering.

Sponsored Links
Yes I would blind the hardcore with sharp sand and then compact it down well wither a wacker plate then bed the slabs on normal mortar.
with regards to grouting I would do the opposite of what you suggested .Wait for a nice hot sunny day and water the gaps wait until the actual slab surfaces have dried fully then brush in the dry mix this will draw the water in the cracks into it then rub the joints with a jointer or small length of hose to smooth the joints.

Sponsored Links
Hardcore, compact, sand, compact, you can lay the slabs straight onto the sand u dont have to cement them in and then grout by brushing a drymix in. worked for me mate and if you want to change the colour, replace a damaged slab etc you dont go through a lot of pain. If done properly they WONT move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back