patio sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just finished a back breaking weekend laying 3tons of sand on to harcore then wacking it and half layed the paving slabs.
ive come in to work and found
ive used the wrong sand :oops:
ive put building sand down instead of sharp sand
how is this going to affect things
will it just wash away
what do i do now???
HELP

Sponsored Links
Remove as much as you can then hose it down with plenty of water and put down sharp sand on top.

That's the whole idea and eventfully will settle down and give you a much better solid base. It will settle down depending how fine your hardcore is compacted.

Sponsored Links
someone here sugested mixing cement in to it and weting it down
to make concrete then laying the slabs on top
this sounds easer than moving 3 tons again
and ive no where to get rid of it.
is there any milage in this or is it a no no ?

Hose it down with water, wait for dry then 5 small dots on top to bed the paving slab.

thanks for the advise
ill take that as a yes it is ok
i think its te best option for me
ill give it a go

I was told that dotting and dabbing wasn't good when laying slabs, as this causes "bridges" that can lead to the slabs cracking, but then again I'm no professional. :LOL:

The reason you see slabs cracking is because the base is not compacted properly and nothing to do with the cement. Ideally a solid cement bedding is best but hard work !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back