Patio sub base against neighbours garage wall, please dont fall over

D

DP87

Hi, I am hoping someone is able to help me.
I am in the process of planning a garden renovation, which will involve moving the patio down the bottom of the garden. Unfortunately, the garden dips here and requires building up approx 5 inches. My neighbours garage backs onto this space and the wall will be one side of the patio which will be built up. It is a single cell, flat roof garage built mid 70's. I am concerned a little about damp but more about the retaining characteristics of the wall and solutions to avoid this. I do not want to push the neighbours garage over) My questions are ;
1) If I tank the wall (if this is the correct term) will this limit any water ingress/damp? I am fairly sure we are below the DPC but belts and braces tells me to do this anyway.
2) Can I build the hard-core up against the wall? would it be able to manage the loads placed upon? My plan was originally to do this but have since been thinking of leaving an air gap to ensure the bricks are able to breathe or putting Gabions in front of it so the air can still reach the bricks?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This seems like a recipe for disaster. I would worry about all that and more. I mean are you just rushing into this

Thanks for the response. What more would you worry about?

I am not rushing into anything, hence gathering information before even picking up a shovel.

Big can of worms that there. You got building permission yet? Ground survey? To name a few but there is so much more

Sponsored Links
For example I once had to stop putting up a pergola due to a rare form of clover leaf growing. Similar thing happened on a job I was on when the local council spotted a bat flying over so shut the hole operation down.
Have you contacted RSPCA/RSPCB or a local herbologist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back