Patress Boxes and Rubber Grommets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Just wondering if rubber grommets have to be fitted to the metal back boxes? is this a 'should do' or is it a must?

Sponsored Links
It needs to be there - it's good practice, and an ungrommeted entry on a metal CU is a fault you can be tested on for C&G Insp and Test.

Sponsored Links
Grommets should be fitted, cables can be damage prior to or during plastering, if an Inspection and Test was done it would be flagged up!

This is something I was going to ask (sorry if I'm hijacking anything).

What do you do if the boxes are already plastered in, i.e. there's no way to get a grommet to fit in there? Will this be flagged up on a PIR, and is there any other protection (i.e. shrinkwrap) which should be considered instead?

What do you do if the boxes are already plastered in, i.e. there's no way to get a grommet to fit in there?
Nothing.

Will this be flagged up on a PIR,
You'd need to be pretty picky to do that. If I understand you, the cable is embedded in plaster up to and including the hole in the box, which is why you can't get a grommet in, in which case the cable can't move around and chafe on the edges of the hole.

and is there any other protection (i.e. shrinkwrap) which should be considered instead?
Again - if the plaster is where I think you're saying it is then how could you get anything round the cable which would go through the hole and out the other side?

It is a bit rough not to have had grommets in the first place, but now that it's done it's done, and you aren't going to win many friends by filing PIRs with Code 2s for everything you find that you think is a bit rough.

If there's no evidence of damage and no way the cable can migrate towards sharp edges then adding a grommet after the fact will achieve nothing.

But it was a new socket back box that was being installed, a grommet should be regardless of the fact it is getting plastered over.
When I was doing my Inspection and Testing course work, I was told to inspect for missing grommets!

But it was a new socket back box that was being installed, a grommet should be regardless of the fact it is getting plastered over.
When I was doing my Inspection and Testing course work, I was told to inspect for missing grommets!

And I've done remedials on 3rd party PIR's detailing the same !

If you split a grommet, you can fiddle about and get the grommet in on a box with in situ cable.

And there's always grommet strip, which has a lower profile and works best where there's sod all room.

You can still fit the grommets if you carefully chisel round the cable with a screwdriver. There is about a quarter of an inch of plaster around the box that gets covered by the faceplate.

If you haven't second fixed, it would be wise to fit them now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back